newbie question....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mpete, Mar 24, 2008.

1. mpete

mpete New Member

I hope this is not a stupid`type question, but with all I have read, my brain just isn't getting this or I'm not seeing it somewhere. If you have a CAE negative herd, say a doe, who tests negative for several tests, introduce no new animals to your farm, can she become CAE positive? I don't think she can, but if she can, then how?

2. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

Yes, she can. most of the tests are made to detect the antibodies to the cae virus. if un-stressed many animals manage to keep the virus in check, produce little if any antibodies, and tests do not pick it up. Yes, they are pos but the test simply isn't picking up the low level of anti-bodies- yet.

Somebody else will need to explain what a titer is, and the difference between the pos and neg determination labs like to give.

In our club we had a lady who had the same goats for over ten years. She tested every year, did cae prevention and used no outside stock. In year 8, 3 of her animals popped up as positive, the year after it was up to 6. That year she culled all her animals and went back to breeding dogs.

So yeah, neg animals can pop up as positives.

3. mpete

mpete New Member

ok.... that makes since... I know what the titer is, my little brain just wasn't getting it, now I do... Thanks... :)