Newbie question on Selenium

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by crocee, Jul 30, 2008.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

While walking down the supplement isle at WalMart looking for Melatonin, I noticed that they carry selenium. I didn't notice what the mg/mcg was but in a pinch can this be used along with vitamin E and B Complex, instead of BOSE? My vet will only give my goats whatever is needed at the time of the $57 office visit. He refuses to give me anything to keep as a preventive or a just in case measure. He insists he must see the animal BEFORE he prescribes ANYTHING. He doesn't trust anyone to know whats better for their animals than he does. Hes also the ONLY vet around that treats goats.

Right now my goats are happy and healthy but the doe may be pregnant.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We already supplement orally in our grain mineral mixes and in our mineral mixes, both have as much selenium as is allowed. Oral preperations work find for treating infant non ruminating kids, but work very very poorly in ruminating adults. The rumen degrades alot of stuff so it never reaches the blood stream.

Why we give selenium injected. Vicki

3. crocee

crocee New Member

I give loose minerals free choice, selenium content is listed as only 25ppm. I am not in a listed selenium deficient area but I suppose that could vary from pasture to pasture here.

It was more the infant kids I was worried about, IF there are to be any before I find a vet that will prescribe without seeing the goat each and every time I need something.

IF I was to give a selenium supplement in pill form (crushed and tubed), how much should be given to a newborn kid?

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sounds like you need to send Kaye a dozen roses...hmm knowing Kaye she would appreciate a dozen donuts or perhaps a dozen sacks of feed :)

She is our mg/kg gal. Vicki

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If you are in Ark...then you ARE in a deficient area. And if you're using the charts that tell you, you are...you MIGHT want to look at the dates the studies were made. I "think" back in the '70's-early 80's...??? Every serious breeder that even pops into my head uses Bo-Se. Even lots of the cattle breeders are using Mu-Se and Bo-Se. And you're not going to get enough selenium in feeds, minerals, and oral supplements that you will get from injections. It just doesn't work the same way.
    Kaye

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Thanks Kaye. I was going by the charts but didn't notice they were so old. Looks like I need to make another order from Jeffers and Valley Vet.
    Andi

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If you have to have something to give babies then use the gel from Jeffers rather than the people stuff.