newbie help

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by winestonefarm, Oct 6, 2008.

1. winestonefarm

winestonefarm New Member

Hi,
    we just made our 3rd batch of soap, wasn't happy with the first 2 setting up, i think we fixed that problem but the soap stinks. we haven't used any scents since we want to master the soap first. It smells like glycerin i think, not sure but its not a nice smell. any thoughts?

also can't get the soap to stay white? using GM we made ice cubes with it and that helped but by the time it dried it was orange.

thanks,
    jodi

2. Nigilover

Nigilover New Member

Hi Jodi

Don't get discouraged--- sometimes there is a smell with goatmilk soap in the first few days, then it fades as the cure time lengthens. Why it isn't setting up--- would have to look at your recipe--- I'm sure you ran it through the soap calc, but also remember to check your scales. I always do the 5 quarter check before I start every batch ( 5 quarters = 1 oz ). If your scale is off the least bit due to battery power, or whatever, it can have devistating results on your outcome.

Also--- freeze your milk in a plastic bag, then crush it with a hammer to smaller pieces, add your lye slowly and stir,stir, stir--- it will stay white, then use it right away.

Good Luck and remember that a mess up in any way makes for better learning!

Kathy

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

right what Kathy said add a little tea tree oil to your next batch makes a nice clean smell

4. winestonefarm

winestonefarm New Member

thank you, ok another ?? the top of the soap is whitish, but the bottom is darker, do i need to be flipping it while it cures?
    forgot to mention , we threw some coffee in the last batch just to experiment and it made the neatest looking bars. kinda like cookies and cream ice cream when it melts. starting to smell like coffee too after 48hrs

5. Nigilover

Nigilover New Member

When I first started soaping, I always flipped my soaps-- for the past year I stopped flipping. I have a great curing rack that has a plastic grate on the bottom, so the air circulates just fine. I have noticed no difference in the soap since not flipping anymore--- and it saves a ton of time!

Kathy

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Some scents and some recipes cause ash, it is always on the uncovered by the mold side of the soap, and never comes to the top at curing on the cut sides. Oxygenation during soaponification which is done by the time you cut :) Vicki