New with Questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Madfarmer, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

I'm new to the group & pretty new to goats. (I've had milkers before but not raised kids since Nixon was President) So please forgive my ignorance. I have two Nunian doelings I'll be breeding soon. Question: You're saying you add a Coccidia med to the kids milk? I've heard about vaccinations, but not this. What's the brand(s)?

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Welcome to the forum.

I use Deccox-M (once a day) added to the kids' free choice pasteurized milk.

Sara

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Tom...welcome to this forum. Lots of good info around here, with the experience to back it up.

Many things have changed since the 70's. Better wormer's, meds, and new ways of thinking on how to best use them.

New health related issues (like CAE) have been researched since then, and we have been given at least some solutions on how to avoid certain problems.

Lots of good info in 101 here, and I encourage you to get in there and learn all you can. If you have a question about the info, or post that may come in here....then please use the opportunity to ask.

WHIM

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi and WELCOME
    Decox M is also what I use in thier bottles or lambar it is a powder
    Di-Methox 40% is an injectable liquid but given orally
    Corid is liquid given orally
    and then there is
    Albon 12% and others
    the kids here that are left on dams or off the lambar get corid.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I use Corid. I am north of you up in Cleveland if you ever find yourself up 59 north call and visit. I have a paper on raising kids from birth until they are kidding in goatkeeping 101. It's a work in progress as I try new products and new dosages. Your problems with cocci and worms will be even more magnified than mine being closer to the gulf than I am. Also your feet/hoof problems do to your moisture and copper defficency will be the bain of your exsistance. Make sure and get really excellent information from folks testing and actually fecaling...when someone in your area gives you a wormer dosage or brand to use, ask them which worms it gets, how often they fecal, and if the worm eggs are gone after they worm, by checking with another fecal. What you find is they do it with these Xray glasses that I never got issued when new in goats or so and so (usually someone in goats a really long time) does it that way. Of all the things I have learned in goats that was the one that really changed my herd...understanding that alot of folks talk and don't do. I always figured they had my best and my goats best interest at heart, nothing is further than the truth. Vicki

6. I have used Sulmet & Di-methox 12.5 % in the past.

At the time Milo and Georgia were kids, I used Sulmet. I put it in their milk.

Welcome to the forum. You will find alot of good information.

7. FRW

FRW New Member

What age and size are your does. You will want to make sure they are big enough before you breed them.Minimum of 80 lbs If they are not big enough they can have kidding problems etc. They usually will develop an immune system to Coccidiosis by the time they are old enough to be bred but that doesn't mean they will not get it nor will there kids not have it. Coccidiosis is a protozoan that is in anyones water supply unless you have an Ionization machine that will only remove 99.5 percent of it. They will pick it up more out of wet pens than any other areas. When they are stressed is when you will see cocci present by a loose stool etc. If you are not sure of the health of your goats. Be sure to read up on the post and learn all you can. There are meds that you can buy at the local feeds stores magazines etc. where you do not have to always get everything from a veterinarian. I am not saying never use a vet. I you are not sure of when your animals have been de-wormed ,vaccinated or had fecals done. I would do this before breeding along with getting them a BOSE shot.I would also collect a fecal and take it to a vet. Let him tell you what is going on so you will know what you need to do .wormings cocci treatment etc.You want to start out with the healthiest does you can so you will not have problems when it comes to kidding time and milking time.
    I am not very far from you either I am about 10 miles from Beaumont TX and about 45 minutes from Baytown..
    Welcome to the group .Everyone on the list are real supportive and are willing to help anyone out with anything they can.

8. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Welcome Tom!

I am North of you, but a little South of Vicki. We are new to the goat world and have been learning a ton. The info Vicki wrote in Goat Keeping 101 is my bible until I get all this stuff down better. I am going to create a checklist from it that I can use to make sure I don't forget something.

You are more than welcome to visit us as well. Will not have as much information as Vicki, but can show you how we are doing things. We just built a barn and got 95% of our fencing complete.

OH…..We use Corid.

Call or email any time.
    Troy

9. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

Thanks Troy! I gotta plan a trip while the weather's still good. Just looked at your website--Good job!

Tom

10. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Hi! Nice to "meet" you! :)

11. NubianSoaps.com

Come here first, then going to Troy and Michelle's will be sort of like Vicki's barn with a Home Makeover :) :rofl Vicki

12. Terry

Terry Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Terry

13. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Vicki has a great barn. Time proven.....where mine is just built so the goats will let me know what I screwed up soon. :biggrin

I am pretty much home every weekend so just give me a call.

Thanks for the comments on the website. It is a start, but I plan to do a complete rebuild with Dreamweaver as soon as I know how to use it better. I want a more clean look. Hard to explain.

14. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

Yeah, I struggle with being semi-literate when it comes to the 'puter. I've had a domain name reserved for a while, but haven't found site-building software I could figure out. If only I could use my fountain pen! :rofl

Tom

15. NubianSoaps.com

Tom, Troy is one of those techie guys, he has been soo much help with my website! vicki

16. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Yea I can help with the website if you like. I use FrontPage right now which would be good for you. If you have ever used Word it is so close to it. I will be moving to Dreamweaver soon but it is far more complicated. I can even get you setup with a hosting company when you are ready.

17. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I am now able to update my own website thanks to Troy. :)

Sara