New to breeding...Need advice & encouragement. (A new Question...Page 2)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Legend Hills, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Six females. Only 1 bred. (I think) I see red and swollen vulvas and put the doe in with the buck. All they do is run or start head-butting with him. No other real signs are seen. I'm very unsure about all of this. I'm still learning.

I do not know about the ones I held still for him to mount. Only one doe stood for him willingly on her own a few days ago. I've made records of each attempt but am new to this aspect of keeping a herd. This will be our first "breeding" season. I'd like to get it done right.

Please Help.

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Re: New to breeding...Need advice & encouragement.

Hi Kim, we haven't heard from you in quite some time!

What signs of heat are you witnessing? Flagging? Are your does more vocal than usual? Mucous? Swollen, puffy vulvas? Does hanging out at the fenceline of the buck pen? If you have a buck it is usually easy to detect your does in heat.

How often are you checking for heat signs?

Since my buck barn isn't really close to the does I parade a buck in the doe barn each night to make sure I don't miss anyone in heat. Most let me know but some are sneaky. :)

Sara

3. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

It has been a long while. I'm glad to be back.

The only signs of heat that I can detect in any of them are swollen, puffy vulvas. The only one that showed signs of flagging did not even do that until I put her in with the buck...which is by the way, right next to their pen. Yes our new barn is done.

They all seem to be very sneaky. And I check them every day, sometimes twice a day. They are always vocal when I go out, no matter what time it is, because they see me and think "food" I guess. :) Silly goats.

Kimberly

EDIT: I have seen evidence of dried mucus I think but when I put her in with the buck she would have nothing to do with him. Her vulva had been swollen for a couple days now. I'll go out again in a few minutes as hubby just told me that one of the goats seems to be acting a bit "crazy". We can only hope.

4. chewie

chewie New Member

i am new as well, so no big helps cept that i experienced the same thing. one doe seemed in heat, i held her, he got busy. about 10 days later, he was all over her, she held still and did that back hump-up thing. so i wrote that date down as the 'real one'. what that first time was, not sure, as she was flagging, and mucas-y. i only hope it gets easier in the next few years!

5. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I just did my first breeding today, and not even sure about it, so take this with a grain of salt! I didn't think the doe I wanted to breed was ready, but I put her w/the buck I wanted to breed her. It was about time for her to be back in heat, and her herdmates were showing definite signs, though she didn't really. Yesterday, all she did was run away and scream. Today, she stood pretty still for the most part. Sneaky indeed. We'll see.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Why not just put your buck in with the does and lt him teach you when your does are in heat? If you check your does vulva twice a day you will see semen or nasty tails even if you don't see the actual breeding. Vicki

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

No! Not a repeat of this spring waiting for Solana to kid! :rofl

Sara

8. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

:D If you don't want me to say, "SHE'S GIVING BIRTH...OH MAYBE NOT...OH SHE IS!....Okay not yet....Now Maybe?" TIMES 6...lol I don't know if that is such a good idea. But then again I have tried the females several times each with him, except one which is too small still. So...Definite Due Dates? Only on one so far. *big sigh*

I just got back inside from checking on the goats. The one that hubby said was acting "crazy" really was. Very vocal and excited. Her vulva always looks big, so swollen...? I put her in with him. She tail flagged (a little) but would NOT stand for him. *shakes head sadly*. I held her for him. He mounted once. I noted it. So there we go...yet ANOTHER due date.

Each female must have at least two each now, some have three. Except one. Her due date will be April 2nd. Nice.

Kimberly

9. NubianSoaps.com

Yeah but if new folks don't pen breed, than the goats will be dry next year :)

Penbreeding does not mean putting the buck in the pen and not spending time each day watching them and looking at evey single does tail everyday. Clip them to the fence if they won't let you lift their tail and inspect them. And then keeping excellent records. It's actually more work than hand breeding.

Because we all don't want a repeat of last years is she bred, is she not and vulva pictures :) Vicki

10. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

LOL I forgot about the vulva pictures. :rofl No...that won't be a repeat. :blush2 And I will pen breed if all else fails, just to make sure. But I want to give it a bit longer first. Is December too late to put him in with them? Or should I be looking more towards the middle of November?

And I'm already checking them everyday to make sure they are not coming back into heat or catching it if they are (if I can). Pen breeding might be a good idea soon

11. NubianSoaps.com

I just posted this on another forum......

If you don't have a calander filled already with tracked heats.....my older does had heats written down in July, 21 days later, 21 days later and then were bred.....so I know that my young doe born in March will be back in, in 2 more weeks and I will start the breeding of my young doe pen with her.

So if you do not have tracked heats yet and we are talking about November already you need to pen breed. Do you really want May or June kids? They are simply much harder to sell, and really hard to grow out to become all they can be in the heat. Then of course they are also not old enough to breed the first year and you have to eat the bucks because who is really going to buy a May or June buckling to use? Vicki

12. Whitney

Whitney Member

How long has this been going on? Are you sure they weren't bred the first time? Maybe they aren't showing clear heat signs because they are already bred?

:)

13. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Kim..alot of folks up north are seeing there does come into heat late or light heats. This week I got alot of first heats . Your girls may have not cycled yet.

Patty

14. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Or, they could be like mine, and cycled and I didn't know it. The buck, who was out at pasture, jumped into the doe paddock over an electric fence and bred them. I thought no one had come into heat, so luted all to get heats, but four out of five aborted! I did not think these does were bred. Now the ones who aborted are all having heat cycles every 5 days or so. Three of the does that aborted were smaller when bred than I had wanted, so I am glad they aborted....now everyone is at weight so I am just trying like crazy to get them bred. I NEED them bred so I can check udders on these girls and make a determination on my buck. You're not the only one having problems this year, so don't feel bad.
    For those of you with experience. Are these frequent cycles after luting normal? I breed them each time I see a standing heat, but those heats keep coming. How long does it take? Two of the does I need to breed to an outside buck, so wish I could figure out when they are really fertile, instead of hauling them back and forth for nothing.
    Thanks
    Anita

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

IF you are waiting to see white mucous on the vulva to expose the doe to a buck...you're missing the heat. Mucous will drain from an unbred doe same as a bred doe. The mucous starts out clear, then white streaked, then clumpy white (too late to breed). Some does show NOTHING in the way of discharge after heat. The mucous pools on the vaginal floor.

If you are not catching these does in heat...I agree with Vicki~pen breed. She will be in heat about 32-36 hrs. Surely in that length of time you will see the buck mount her, if you're keeping a watch on the does. Check early morning and late evening. Watch for the doe and buck laying near each other, away from the others. He's not going to leave her side as long as she's in heat.
    Kaye

16. Re: New to breeding...Need advice & encouragement.

With my does, they all had discharge and flagged their tails.
    I agree you should pen breed if you can't catch them in heat. That is what I would do if my girls weren't so obvious.
    Also, my girls are checked 2x a day (AM & PM milking)

Goodluck!!!! :D Just write down the day they go in and the day they are removed.

17. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Yeah, just pen breed if you can't catch them in heat. I guess I've just been fortunate and I have almost never had a problem finding the does in heat and pen breeding them. I have a few does though that don't come into heat for the first time for the season until November-December, and they kid like that time every year.

18. NubianSoaps.com

It's pretty tought to miss Nubians :)

Also think about a barn monitor, girls in heat cause alot of rukus in the barn, nobody gets a good nights sleep. Vicki

19. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Tell me about it! All my goats were out in the RAIN before 6 this morning screaming their fool heads off at the fenceline! UGH!

20. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I will be putting my buck in with the girls today. Thank you so much everyone for you experiences and encouragement. I will watch everyone, when when I put him in there with them, like a hawk. :) I think perhaps I will invest in some marker for his brisket area today.

And no Vicki.... I do not want May/June kids for the same reasons that you mentioned. :nooo

I appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks!

:thankyou