New mineral I'm using. Is it okay?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Legend Hills, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's not a mineral it's a protein supplement. The site does not give the ingredients, if it contains urea you need to get it out of the pen now.

Instead of me drooning on and on about minerals this time, let me ask you why you purchased it? What were you using before and have you had goats long enough to know why you didn't like it to move to a new mineral? Do your goats need this high protein lick? Is it a natural protein? What is the protein of your hay?

Vicki

3. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I mistook it for a mineral lick. The reason why I got it is because it contains Copper, and selenium among other things. I will go check it right now for Urea. Thanks. I was using "Goat Mineral" by Manna Pro but ran out. I saw this and thought it was a good thing and a good buy. Guess I was wrong.

Going out to the barn now.....

4. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Nope. It does not have Urea. The reason I mistook it for a Mineral pail, despite the title was because of the ingredients. Although now that I look at it in comparison to the Mineral I had been feeding the amounts are next to nothing. :( Guess it is back to the store for us. Should I take the pail out when the other minerals are added again or is it safe to leave it in. They like the molasses it contains and it might be good to prevent Ketosis. Or so I've heard.

Edit: I have since done a search and learned that Molasses can bind the Copper and possibly the Calcium. I'm taking it out now. :?

5. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

With a loose mineral, they are much more able to get the amounts they need.

6. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Yes. That is true. Thank you. The other reason why I got this pail was because the molasses made the stuff softer than a hard block and I thought they would be able to get more. I'll definitely go back to the loose mineral. I'm feeling a bit stupid right now. :duh :blush Would have gotten the mineral I usually do but the TSC did not have it when we were there. Will have to pick up some at Agway instead.

Edit: I have since done a search and learned that Molasses can bind the Copper and possibly the Calcium. I'm taking it out now. :?

7. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I've seen the mineral you are talking about. Cow people feed it to their cows all the time. I see those huge tubs out in the field. They seem like an extremely expensive source of protein to me, and I never could figure out why they use them. Mostly it's the folks whose cows are skinny because they apparently have no hay. I like the tubs when they are empty though. They are very tough and I've had some folks give me a few when they were empty. Make excellent water troughs for older stock and I've even put newborn kids in them. Yep, like the pails, just not whats in them....but then again, I'm an anti molasses fanatic, starting with horses and the damage I see it do to their feet and it kind of just carried over to the goats...
    Don't throw away that pail!
    Anita

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Alot of people feed protien blocks to their goats. If your protein source is questionable, the blocks or tubs are a very convienent thing to use. Sources of protein run from soy to cottonseed meal to animal by products, so know the sources. vicki

9. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

The protein I give is 16%. Is this enough? And thank you. :)

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

That is enough. and don't use mineral licks use a loose mineral even a dairy cattle or horse with no molasses. get the highest copper /selenium you can find.

11. susie

susie New Member

I had some "not so great" hay a few years back that I fed to my cows. I put out a protein tub for them, it encourages them to eat the hay. The cows looked great that year, nice and slick and shiny, and they ate the hay. I really liked the tubs for that situation, now I just feed better hay and keep out a good loose mineral.Yep the tubs are really handy!
    My goats have never liked the lick blocks I've tried-- and around here they get soft because of the moisture.

susie

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl Yeh, one year we were using the tubs for the horses, (not anymore), thought what the heck, no urea? Try one in the goat pasture. MISTAKE! They loved it, but NOT for eating...for standing in, pooping in, and YUCK,laying in! Ever tried to get molasses off a thick coat of hair? Plus the fact, when it rained it held the water and talking about NASTY!
    After about a of week of this nonsense...I washed it off,( yeh, plus some of the expensive crap inside it) and moved it back to the horse pasture. Even when that was gone, we didn't even put it out for the horses...same molasses issues on gray horses! Now, on everything we have..it's just easier to use loose minerals and protein supplements in loose form for the horses and cows. It lasts longer, no molasses issues, and we are STILL able to get the tubs from cow people that don't take them back for the deposits. :biggrin

In your case...look at it this way, that bucket would have cost about $8-$10 here AND you have a block you could use to hold down a tarp or fill a hole or some other use. :lol
    Kaye

13. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

That is very true Kaye. I like your way of thinking. And thank you Sondra, I had been using the "Goat Mineral" by Manna Pro. I hear that is still pretty good. Anything cheaper though? Or is this the best for the goats? Thanks. :)

14. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Surgain has a mineral thats a 2;1 cow dairy thats pretty good. Not molasses and no iron . Ask your feed mill not TSC.

Patty

15. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Thanks Patty. I went and bought the Goat Mineral by Manna Pro already. YICK! The price has doubled since we first started buying it. From 8.99 to over 17.00. I poured half in a container for the JR. does. And half of one bag for the Sr. Does. The next morning I noticed the Jr's had broken the container and spilled what was left all over the floor. The Sr. did not have any left, at least none that I could find. Might have tipped theirs over too but doubt it. So over $17 minerals gone in one day! Good for the goats but NOT for my bank book. How does everyone manage? :(

16. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

You end up broke ;)

I have been talking to a representative of Zinpro, as those are the minerals that I want to use, but at $90 for 50lbs, with a median shelf life of 3 months, I wont be getting them any time soon. They manufacture several different mineral mixes, including ones with extra supplemental copper, some with extra cobalt and selenium. They also have mixes for foot health and dairy mixes. My mentor uses them, but since they also raise several head of cattle each year, they go through them quickly, and they have a supplier locally. Unfortunately, I don't have this luxury, so I use a dairy cattle mix in my grain mix (in addition to 2:1, Diamond V Yeast, and BiCarb), and leave SweetLix and BiCarb out free choice.

I would be concerned about your goats actually eating that much mineral mix in a single day, or even two days unless you have 50+ goats. Even then, that might be entirely too much. I hope others will comment on this.

Kelly :)

17. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

They were very small bags. Only 8 lbs. The Juniors got more than the Seniors and ended up spilling it sometime between the evening and morning so they did not eat it all. The Seniors..... I don't know. I have three of each. Jrs/Srs. The one buck got a little too but only what he could lick up from the bucket for a few minutes before I gave it to the girls.

18. You have been out of mineral though correct? If so, then they are going to eat more when you first put it in. I get the Rural King Goat Mineral. 18lb tub for 17.99.

19. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Thank you Amy. Yes, I was out of it for a while. Glad to know that they'll slow down after a while. I have one more bag left before we need to get some more. I do NOT look forward to telling my husband that we might need more so soon. :( He is very supportive but still....

Rural King Goat Mineral sounds cheaper per pound. I'll have to look for it around here. Can you get it online?