new kid ??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jan 22, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK the doeling born yesterday, perfectly healthy as far as I can tell... birth unattended, was standing & dry when found, 6lbs at birth... her twin was 8lbs....

got good colostrum in her
    iodined navel & hooves

It was just reported (by my worry wart) that she does NOT romp and such. She eats well, sleeps, & stands, and lays in your arms... eyes appear alert...

Is this something to be concerned about? I am still down lots... soooo

And like I said this is my worry wart... my purveyer of gloom & doom..

Her twin was jumping out of my my new baby tote where I keep them 24hrs... at well under 12hrs old yesterday...

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

did you give BoSe?? some are just sleepier than others. how long before the iodine got put on? and is this baby on the mom or on the bottle

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

iodine within 30min of finding them... this was the unattended kidding yesterday... no clue if they nursed on mom...

bose last night

on bottles

4. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

mom was shut up at 10PM Sun night with NO labor signs...

Kids were found about 7AM.. dry & standing.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I had a set of triplet does born on the 10th. The smallest one ate just fine but was more like a premie for the first couple days. Ate, slept, ate, slept......by the third day she was just like the others. ;)

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

And yes.......I worried!! :lol

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Two years ago, I had a beautiful pair of Boer bucklings born. Identical in every way except one was just "slower" than the other. It never hurt him, he thrived. But I often wondered if he was maybe slightly oxygen deprived at birth or something. He was just never as bright and it did take him a few more hours in the beginning to catch on to things.

8. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

If there is concern, take her temperature and monitor it. That's what I would do if I were worried.