New in house buckling question - Re Papertowels

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by laughter777, Jan 5, 2009.

1. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

New question....since I am probably not moving him out of my house until it is "warm" enough for me to wanna go out and dismantle his pen in my yard to take it to the barn....instead of towels on the bottom of this plastic floored dog crate, can I use unbleached paper towels. I have a trash just for these (they go to my compost pile). I have been using towels, but washing 5 towels a day has made it so I barely have time/room to wash any of mine or DH clothes!! I put some in for now to soak up some mess (in between towels right now!) and thought to myself...can I just use these...who better to ask DGI!!

Sarah

2. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

Haven't had much luck with paper anything around the goats - ours will try to eat them.
    We have tried many different things and what we've found works best is regular towels
    like you are using. Although we do use the large bath size ones. We do loads of towels
    daily during kid season.

If it is a problem and you aren't adverse to using them... try diapering him to give yourself a break.
    He could also be out running around the house then too.

Trisha

3. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I tried some paper towels while here watching him (and waiting for reply!) and he is laying down, he sniffed them while I was putting them in. I might see how he does with them for the next half hour till I go to work, then put a towel in (I work from 2-7) DH usually comes home between 4:30 and 6pm, but don't know that he would come check....usually goes straight to work on outside chores!

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

On the bottom of my pens is a plastic boot/shoe keeper that my sis got me a few years ago. it's maybe 2 x 4 feet? with a 2 inch lip. I cover the bottom with Sweet PDZ and then shavings on top of that and then some straw. I can go for about a week depending on how many kids are in there before it needs to be redone. I just dump the mess on my compost pile.. reduce, reuse, recycle!

5. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

Wow, how do you keep the straw contained inside your house? And then get that tray of stuff out the door? Sounds like more than my back would be happy with.

LOL - paper towels - how did they taste?... see also "cutting feed costs" .

6. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I have used the paper feed sacks. Although they are not real absorbant, we always have alot of them and you just throw them away.
    Theresa

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

They actually stay in our laundry room which has a door to the porch. And there's a broom nearby. :biggrin
    I forgot to mention, that I popped a small hole in the 2ft section of the shoe thing (don't know what it's really called :blush ) and use a clip that I have attached to a lead to just drag it out. It really slides along quite nicely... maybe if I liked snow and lived on a hill... :nooo

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

That is so much work and trouble trying to keep a crate or pen inside the house clean. I've tried keeping them in a crate, the bathtub downstairs, the bathroom, laundry room. Everything was hard to keep clean until I figured out to just diaper them. Just go get you some cheap diapers. I had a boer doeling living in the house with us for ... a couple months I think. She went through about 5 or 6 diapers a day. You don't have to cut a tail hole or anything. Just turn the diaper around backwards from the way you would put it on a baby. In other words, fasten it over it's back. I didn't have to clean up after her and she followed me all over the house and loved to jump up on the couch and lay there by one of the big fat pillows. I put a clean diaper on her and put her in a dog crate at night before we went to bed. First thing in the morning I would change her diaper and fix her bottle, just like a baby. Be warned... if you have a coffee table it will be jumped on. :)

Here is a picture of TexStar She Zaprincess
    [​IMG]

9. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Well, isn't she just the cutest thing! So, I have to ask, when she poops, doesn't it get just all over her? I'm thinking back to when I had to change my nieces diapers. :really

10. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

OH she is adorable Christine! That diaper idea is worth its weight for indoor goats. The twins had me hoppin' all over the house last spring. But I finally figured out to gate them in the kitchen and they taught themselves to potty in the cat pan. But not poopie! Didn't eat the catlitter either.
    Have fun with your house buckling! And watch that he doesn't learn how to type :lol. The twins were all over my keyboard :biggrin. Tammy

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

What a cute little goat. When I look at those babies, I sometimes miss having Boers. At my place, house kids live in a large Rubbermaid tote. The first couple of days, I use towels. This way,I can monitor that they ahve passed their meconium and are pooping OK. I then put pine shavings in the bottom of the tote. They don't need to be changed as often and I put used ones in the yard waste pile outdoors. Usually, by the time the kids can jump uot of the tote, they are ready for their baby pen outside - one reason I don't breed for January kids. Kathie

12. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Only right at first the poop was sticky and I had to wash her booty off a couple of times, then the poop started firming up. She usually only pooped a couple times a day though so it wasn't bad. Just like a baby, you could tell when she poopied and you just change her diaper right away before it gets messy. Yeh, she was a good house baby. She is still such a Mama's baby and she will be a year old Jan. 9th.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Cat litter and shavings on top in my crates but when they are runnuping around the house it is diapers for the boys the get an extra one tucked inthe fist to cover the belly area. Then goes on either a onsey or t shirt with diaper pins to hld the diaper on.

14. Necie@Lunamojo

[email protected] Active Member

15. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Paper towels actually worked well...I just put a towel over them before I went to work. Got home about 9pm and let him outside to potty while I warmed his bottle. Took the towel to the laundry room and used the papertowels to dry up the damp spots on the plastic bottom of the crate. I think I will do that again!

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It is not anywhere near cold enough to have the baby in the house :) Do make sure that you are getting the kid outside in the sunshine. Coddle a kid too much and it will be the first kid sick, the simply don't build immunity in our warm houses. Vicki

17. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

He spent his first afternoon out today and will spend tonight out. When I went to offer him his bottle, I was telling myself if he is shivering or cold I have to bring him in, but he was curled up in his hut and warm as can be...so he is no longer a house goat. It just took me so long as I was worried about him and the "cold"

18. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

How sweet he is and I use puppy pads with shavings on top.
    Deana

19. AprilB

AprilB New Member

I've got one buckling in the house right now because I'm waiting on doelings to be born to keep him company. We're using a rubbermaid tub with shavings in the bottom. He's learned to jump in the tub to pee (so cute).