New Here - Babies coming

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by rhughe13, Feb 14, 2008.

1. rhughe13

rhughe13 New Member

Hello Everyone. My first post here and I'm new to goats. I've got a Nubian doe that is getting ready to kid very soon. First time for both of us. I calculated a due date of March 3rd, but I think it will be sooner. I have been trying to learn the signs and have been thinking she will be kidding in the next two days.

I have the doe separated in her pen with a baby monitor, so I hope that I can catch her ahead of time. It is really cold here tonight at 22 degrees in North Alabama. I am prepared to bring her in my mud room where there is a wood stove should she go into labor before it warms up the next couple of days.

Otherwise I will probably take a small ceramic heater and 100w spotlight out to the shed.

Sigh.... Its going to be a learning experience for me, but I'm thankful to all the great posts here.

Wish me luck!

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Welcome. How did you calculate your doe's due date? Did you hand bred her? Goats have a 150 day gestation. I suppose 22 degree nights seem cold where you live. Here in Montana, it's not unusual for the nights to be that cold when our goats start kidding in March. I have never brought my does inside to kid. They do just fine in their shelters bedded with straw. If you plan to leave the kids with their dam, make sure they get their colostrum and they should be fine in the barn. If you are going to botttle feed the kids, then I'd bring them inside.

3. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    I'm going to have to second goatkid in that it would be best to leave your doe outside in the barn to kid. did you catch the thread about kidding signs and what to look for? I'm sure you'll both be fine for the whole thing. ;)
    one thing, if your going to milk your doe I would suggest you take the kids away a birth so your doe sees *you* as her kid and wont give you a hard time with milking. good luck and keep posting!

-Melissa

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Hi. Welcome to the forum.....good to see a native/neighbor on here.

Yea, It was cold last night for us here......it was about 15 when I got up this morning.

I would caution you just a bit......just before, and during birthing....you don't want to get that doe very warm with a heater......I prefer that it even be a little cool if anything. Get them baby's dried off/cleaned up, and make sure that they get something to eat at least a couple times, and they should be fine if thet are born healthy to start with.
    If you are gonna let them nurse their mom, then right after she finishes kidding, make sure her teat plugs are removed and that milk is flowing freely from each teat.
    I personally like to know that the milk is flowing, and that each kid gets a couple good pulls of milk before I leave them be for a little while.

Again , welcome to this forum......Whimmididdle

5. Welcome and good luck with the kidding.

6. MsMelissa

MsMelissa New Member

Hi,
    I'm new here too and also from Alabama - seems that there are more "goat" folks in Alabama than I knew (still not as many as tigers and elephants though) Good luck with your babies!
    I have a doe due in April and will be going through this for the first time also. I tend to think that God has this system worked out pretty good, but after reading all the forums I'm beginning to get kind of nervous about the whole thing.

Roll Tide (I'm also an "elephant" folk) :hi

Melissa
    Northport

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin Glad to see you and Margi are doing fine.....and yea, I got a big red A on my cap too.

Because old Paige is due next week, I have boarded in that big stall that you seen when you were here.....no drafts anywhere in there now. If it is like 40 or below when she kids next week, I will put a heater in there just to knock the chill off, and that is all......get them baby's cleaned up, dried off, and fed...and they will be fine.

Go ahead and get your birthing kit set up to be used.

Good to see you a posting......you have come to a great forum here. Lots and Lots of real knowledgable goat people on here......so post and ask away as you want to.

Whimmididdle (Kyle)

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

melissa, do you have an elephant a real big grey wrinkly elephant? I Love elephant's. tigers not so much.

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin Bryrpatch....You got to be from AL to get part of that one........yea , she's got an elephant....his name is Nic Saben.

Whim

10. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

:shrug ok that one went right over my head. elephant? For real?

Sheryl

11. rhughe13

rhughe13 New Member

Yes, I found a online calculator for the 150 day cycle and it came out March 3rd. I may have missed the breed time by as much as a week though. I have a good breeding nubian buck that I purchased separately and he did all the work. I've had both goats for over a year now and the doe is just now old enough to breed.

My shed is semi open, roofed shed and our temps are finally stabilizing. I feel much better now. Although I did loose a couple of young chickens last night to the freeze.

I am probably getting overly paranoid , so will just chill a little and let nature work.

Roll Tide!

12. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Hmmm, could be off a week with breeding date ? Did you see this buck breeding this doe for 7 straight days, or did he breed her again 7 days later ? You just gonna have to keep a check on this doe......With what I've seen around here with Nubi's, 149 to 151 days is usually real close.

BTW ......elephants and tigers are college team mascots, and Nic Saben is the new football coach at the Un. of Alabama. Kinda like how Vicki has got goat blood running through her veins.....most Alabamian's have got football running through theirs (year around).

13. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

oh sports I'm musically and sportally "Un-gifted" ted nugent was a news caster right? Not saying I can't play instruments or sing or kick a ball, I just have never followed "stars"

14. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Welcome to the forum!

Don't feel bad Sherrie, I was starting to get a little worried myself.....as, I know NOTHING about elephants nor tigers and I wasn't EVEN going to touch her *help* posts on those two!! :?
    :rofl ...I'd have sent you directly to elephant medicine!! :rofl

There's a couple thousand dairy goats on this forum and we only really hear about the few that do have kidding problems. So, chances are...she'll kid without you there, and in her own sweet time. :lol
    Kaye

15. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Hi and welcome to the forum...

You gals that has got to be the funniest thing...elephants and tigers...I guess it is a southern thing, uh...

Autumn

16. rhughe13

rhughe13 New Member

I almost positive I saw the buck breed the first day. Then I saw the next three or four days afterwards.

I am around them every day for feeding and just checking on them. On this particular day, he went goofy with her, started flapping his tounge, making wierd noises and chasing her to no end.

March 3rd is getting close, so I'm hoping we get through this cold front and have a nice week afterwards. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one. Her milk bag has dropped and separated some more where it connects to her body. She doesn't get up much except when I exercise her around the pen or to eat.

Thanks for all your help with recognizing signs.

17. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I'm a new goatee momma too. I have a FF Alpine that got "accidently" bred who knows when. I didn't even know she was pregnant until she started getting an udder, and looking "big". Someone that saw her pic on my website asked me when she was due and I told her she wasn't then I began to wonder. Well guess what....She's definitely preg with NO due date. For a first timer You think you're nervous. :D I think I'm going a little :crazy . She looks like she has about a week or two to go. I'll keep an eye on her several times a day. I'm glad you joined this forum. Have fun with the kidding. It is the most wonderful thing you can ever witness. I've had other animals give birth with me there so although I've never seen it with goats I know how very special it can be. And even after your hundreth time the wonder of it all never goes away. Welcome here! I look forward to hearing how it went.

:welcome​

18. rhughe13

rhughe13 New Member

Well I came home today and found 2 new baby goats on the ground. I must have just missed the last birth and the first one was already up and walking around. I'll post a URL of the pics and see if the slideshow works. Both appear to be healthy and looks to be one of each, a buck and a doe. Kitty seemed to be very happy that it has another victim to rub on.

[​IMG]

19. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Cool, and Congratulations. Sounds like they got here the old fashioned way.....by Stork. Poor feller, we have almost put him out of business, but he still manages to make a stop every now and then to some of our places.

Whim