New here and could use some help

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by new2goats, Aug 17, 2008.

1. new2goats

new2goats Guest

Hello,

I am new here and didn't see a place for introductions on this board so i figured I'd just throw it in here. :D

*I* technically do not own any goats (YET!) my mom and I had discussed getting goats and finally decided we wanted Nigerian Dwarfs and after meeting a few in person my kids (ages 5 and 3) just fell in love with the lil' boogers.

Fast forward a bit and now my mom was literally saddled with goats. My mothers neighbors had goats and they are getting a divorce. Few nights ago the wife knocked on my mom's door around 9:00 PM and asked if she wanted all the small goats. My mom said she would take them and honestly thought she would go get them the next morning...Not so though! The woman left, without a word and was back 20 minutes later with the goats. My poor mom had to scramble to get a safe place for them for the night....She had hoped to talk to the woman the next morning to get worming, vaccine and feeding info but when she went down there they were gone. House is empty and nothing left on the property (quite odd huh?)

Anywho.....the goats are:

Three 8 month old sisters (3/4 Nigerian- 1/4 Pygmy)
    One 6 month old Pygmy buck (who is nothign but a huge personality in a tiny package)
    One 1/1/2 year old Nigerian doe who- according to the woman *may* be bred by a 1/2 pygmy 1/2 Nigerian buck (Not the boy my mom has...different buck)

All these goats aren't in the best shape to tell the truth. From what we saw on inspection of the place while looking for the woman, they were being kept in a dog run, no grazing but a pile of old coastal hay in a box :/

All of them have dull coats and probably could use worming (if their care of the dogs they had is any indication I highly doubt these folks were good at keeping up with vaccines, worming ect. ect)

So...Anyone care to pass on some advice on what would be the best product to worm them with and a list of nessesary vaccines that these guys will need?

Also..any food reccomendations? We bought a bag of goat feed from the feed store (can't remember the brand though- It's just what the guy there told us to get) and we bought them some alfapha hay but do they need anything else?

Obviously the time to know all of this info and have everything is BEFORE you get goats, and to tell the truth we weren't going to buy any goats until next spring after we found a breeder who could mentor us but that just didn't work out. lol My mom lives about 40 minutes from me so I don't see the goats every day..but she's a computer phobe so I figured the least i could do is join this board and get some help and in the process lear a bit so when I'm ready to buy my own goats I'll be prepared ;) Thanks so much for your time..I really appreciate it :D

2. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Do you know what kind of feed/hay she was feeding? Unless you know she fed alfalfa, I would start easy on it and give them free choice grass hay. Gradually increasing the alfalfa to get them used to it. Also would start introducing the grain slowly unless you know they were getting the same thing before. Cydectin works very well (pour on for cattle given orally at 1cc per 22lbs). Best way is to take a fecal to the vet and find out what worms you are dealing with, then worm accordingly, although from the sounds of the situation they are probably all due for a good worming! Also get a good loose mineral to keep out for them.

3. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
    If you will go look at some of the info in Goat 101, you might find some of the answers you are looking for before everyone has a chance to get on here and give their advise.
    I would worm them now. Even if they had been wormed before, with the stress of moving and new everything it would not hurt. Where in TX are you? Cydectin works very well here and that is what most of us use. I agree about going easy with the feed. Since you don't know what they were use to getting other then hay I would stay with that and add to it slowly.
    I am sure others will come on with more advise.
    Good luck with your new goats.
    Theresa

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Welcome, glad the goats found you and your mom:)

Take it easy on the feed thing especially if you are introducing them to grass and browse also. Know that foundation plants around your house including your azealas will kill them. They need lots of clean water daily. I would go get grass hay and use it, then slowly give them some alfalfa hay each day. Same with the goat grain, hopefully one of the ingredients is ammonium chloride so your bucks don't get stones, check your label.

Think about moving the bucks into their own area so no more breeding goes on and the girls and boys get a rest until after they are better taken care of.

Trimming feet, worming and then vaccinating later on.

What part of Texas? Vicki

5. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Welcome, what a way to start in goats! I'm glad you found all this help. I have learned so much from all the good people on here. Just start plowing through all the good info in 101.

Wendy

6. new2goats

new2goats Guest

Thanks for the tips and advice..I really appreciate it.

I called my vet and asked hisopinion on worming and he told me to buy SafeGuard 10% Suspension...but he also admitted that though he has a few equine clients, he has no goat patients.

Can I buy this Cydectin at the feed store or Tractor Supply?? Is it considered to be more effective than SafeGuard?

As far as grazing...my mom's property is a 20 acre, sandy bit of shinery just North of Abilene Texas...nothing out there that I'd call "grazing" and mostly oaks (which my grandad swears oak leaves are bad for goats so we cleared any and all away from the temporarypen we have for them just in case..not sure if this is true or not though)

So..she has been keeping some of the grass hay she has out there (though they don't really like it as much as the alphalfa) and gives them a small amount of the alfafa in the morning and evening.....she was worried about giving them upset tummies and didn't wantto give them somethign toorich too soon. I'll have to ask her what brand of feed she has and what the ingredients are..And on that she's been going slow as well. None of these goats are big (obviously) so she's been giving about a 1/2 of a cambells soup can in the morning and slightly less than that in the evening.....I do hope that isn't too much. :/

Were actually getting a bit of real rain out in this area and my poor lil brother (just turned 17) was out in the rain today building the little buck a separate pen and shelter....Don't think I'd call it ideal but I gave him one of my old giant igloo dog houses (was given to me for my Danes by someone who actually thought my Danes spent any time outside! ha ha )and much to my surprise the pygmy buck actually uses it! :D So, he has shelter from the rain and such and hopefully this week his real shelter will be finished.

I have no idea how early females start to cycle, but the thought of one of these does already being bred and then three 8 month old does possibly getting pregnant is not one I entertain with any happiness. The only buck there is is about 6 months old...is he old enough to breed the does yet? And the 3 young does are 8 months old....can they be bred at this age?

Anywho.....once my munchkins (ages 3 and 5) give me a bit of time one here I'll go through the the 101 section and dig up more info.

Thanks again for everything...we surely have our hands full here but I hope we can get all of them in good shape and healthy soon. :)

7. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Yes, they could be bred. The buck is old enough to bred and the all your does could have been bred. You will just have to wait and see.

You can get the cydectin at the feed store or TSC, although you might want to check out Jeffers.com because they are usually cheaper. Unless you can find a goat person in your area who will share a bottle with you. Otherwise you could get the smallest bottle and it will still last you a while.

Has anyone mentioned alfalfa pellets? They might be easier for your mom to haul and all. That is what I use instead of alfalfa hay because it is easier to store and I can never find good alfalfa hay here.

My goats eat the oak leaves. We have several oak trees here and they eat all that fall off and all that they can reach. My trees are well trimmed where the goats are! So I don't think that you have to worry about that. But it probable was a good idea to clean them out if there was alot because it would have been something new to the goats and anything new can cause problems. But from here on, if some are in their pen then I would not worry about it.

And dog houses make great shelters for little goats so don't feel bad if he has to have this for a shelter for a while. As long as he is dry then he is good.

Oh, and safeguard probable won't do much for you on worms. I think the only thing it gets are tapeworms, so go with the cydectin. If you were closer I would let you have enough for this first worming but I am in the DFW area.
    Theresa

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi and Welcome!! Theresa is right you need to get cydectin and yes all the does could be bred because both the ND and the Pygmy are year around breeders

9. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

The only shelters in my buck pen are the dog houses. Mine usually prefer them evem if they have a choice actually, they can get all curled up comfy cozy!

10. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Welcome! My goats love oak leaves, both green and dried. They eat lots, but they are used to them. Also, I use "Cydectin Pour On for Cattle" at 1 cc per 22 lbs BY MOUTH and not safeguard here in central Texas. For tapeworms, I use Valbezan :D