New goats are here... worming question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by lauren, Sep 4, 2008.

1. lauren

lauren New Member

Hello. I'm new to the forum (been reading for over a month, though), and we finally brought home our babies. We have LaManchas: 1 adult doe, 2 doelings (born in May), 1 adult buck, and 1 buckling (born Feb). The farm we bought them from uses herbal wormers, but we plan on using regular wormers. ;)

I had planned on using Cydectin, 3 doses 10 days apart, upon bringing them home. However, when my hubby arrived to pick them up, one of the doelings had a cough. The owner said it was probably lungworm. So here are my questions:

I need to treat the coughing doeling with Ivomec 1% (injectable used orally), correct?
    Should I just treat the whole herd with Ivomec then? Or treat the others, as planned, with Cydectin unless they begin coughing?

I am getting ready to place an order for fecaling supplies so I can do fecals here, but I do certainly want to get everyone wormed NOW.

Thank you!

Lauren Higgins

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well personally because I am so forgetful I would stick with my normal routine which is to worm everyone with cydectin and 10 days later worm again with ivormec plus the youngsters would also be put on corid and everyone would start their series of CD/T

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would run the kid to my vet and have a look over, so when this kid croakes I can get my money back :)

I would go ahead and worm everyone with the Ivermectin if you are using the 1% injectable than use it at 1cc per 50 pounds and give it orally, make sure you give enough if the kid weighs 40 pounds give them the whole 1cc. Then in 10 days move to Cydectin.

The cough...although it could be lungworm....is the area wet that they came from, does she have snails? A much better look see would be to really give the kid a once over...any dried poop on her hairs around her tail? down her legs? Because cough is mostly cocci and worms in kids.

I would put the kids on 5 days of cocci meds.

Cocci is completely normal in the poop of adults, kids don't yet have immunity to cocci so if you don't use prevention you will see problems.

If you can keep the group out of their barn for 12 hours after worming you will go a long way in keeping their area free of worms for this fall. Vicki

4. lauren

lauren New Member

Thanks Sondra and Vicki! Still looking for a decent vet out here. :sigh

They came from a farm in the mountains of NE Tennessee (humid). Seemed like an area where you'd find snails, though I don't know for sure. There is no dried poop down her legs, a FEW specks around her tail... not much. All the goats are pooping nice clean berries and eating well. I'm transitioning them from their old grains to the new grains slowly.

As soon as my Jeffers order arrives, I'll start them on a round of Corid. I'll worm everyone once with Cydectin and once with Ivermectin, and start everyone on vaccinations. I have an area where I can put them for 12 hours after worming.

Thanks again for the help!

Lauren

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And congrats on the goats!!! Vicki

6. lauren

lauren New Member