New goat vaccine question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by hsmomof4, Oct 31, 2008.

1. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Hello all,
    I'm new here (though I've been lurking for about a week) and new to goats, so I have a question. We recently acquired two Kinder does, due to kid some time next month (probably...the previous owners had not kept very close track of when they were bred, so we're uncertain of the exact due date). They have not had any vaccinations recently, so I'm wondering what people would recommend at this point, seeing as we could be within 30 days of kidding at this point.

Thanks so much in advance for your help. :biggrin

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would give CD/T and BoSe Also make sure you wormed them when you got them and then worm day of freshening.
    Please update your profile with the area you live in.

3. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Not sure how much you have been reading on this site, but you might want to have them blood tested for CAE and pregnancy test if you have any doubt they are in fact pregnant. With a CAE test costing $4 from biotrack it is pretty much a no brainer.

Also I use Cydectin for my wormer and it works great for us.

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yep I always worm my new goats and when they kid I worm also. Make sure like Sondra said give them the CD/T and Bo-se. Also I give mine plenty of alfalfa pellets with their feed. ?? What part of Kansas are you in?? Its Great to see someone else from Kansas on also. Welcome. This is a good site to learn...

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Welcome to the forum. Bred or not, I worm incoming girls, and also give them 2cc of Bar Vac CD&T vaccination for entero and tetanus, then repeat in 21 days the vaccination. Also bo-se which is from the vet, 1cc per 40 pounds to mom when you are pretty sure they are indeed bred, shiney tight milky udder, and to kids at birth. vicki

6. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

I know that the previous owners wormed them just before they brought them over, but I didn't ask which wormer they used. They got the goats from Christy Harris as kids (this will be their second freshening) and they were never around other goats, so I feel pretty confident about their CAE/CL status, but I will test them here pretty soon. I'm ordering CD&T vax today, along with some other supplies. Cydectin (pour-on, administered orally) seems to be the top choice for wormers amongst most of the old pros here? What do most of you rotate it with?

Kathy,
    I'm about 20 min. north of Lawrence.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't rotate wormers this builds resistance I use cydectin and in 10 days use ivormec plus. only need to worm as a general rule when bringing in new animals.
    all old ones are wormed prior to breeding, day of freshening and at this time I use valbazen at the 10 day interval because of milk withdrawl. This is twice a year routine other than that I do fecal checks and worm only when needed.
    Now babies are a totally different story and Vicki has posted a good article on raising babies in Goat 101

8. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Thanks everyone for your help on this. I asked the previous owner what she had wormed with and she said it was Cydectin. I went ahead this am and did the Cydectin again (it arrived yesterday late) and the CD&T vax. I will do CD&T again in 21 days. I was sooooo happy with how smoothly it went, considering as it was just last night that my hubbie finished the milking stand so that I had some way to restrain them and had not had a chance before this am to introduce them to it. "Here little goat, come up on this stand so I can give you a shot!" is probably not the best way to introduce them to the milking stand, but a handful of grain as a bribe was helpful. Anyhow, my last question is on the Ivomec Plus, which I also have on hand. Should I do that 10 days from now?

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Do they come from a wet area that has slugs and snails? Do you have slugs and snails? Did the previous owner use a flukecie for liver flukes? Now we got to teach you how to fecal so you don't have to guess anymore. Vicki

10. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

It's not terribly wet here, but wet enough for slugs and snails. (I lived in coastal GA before, so this seems pretty dry to me, relatively speaking, but it's not like CO which was very dry.) As to the fecals, I've got to get a microscope (it's in my plans) and slides and such but haven't had a chance to yet. I did order the book that Sue Reith (I think) recommends for IDing the critters, and I took microbiology in college, so I'm familiar with looking at stuff under the microscope. From what I understand, our big problems in this area are cocci and HC, but that doesn't mean that we don't have flukes, too. But I know who I can ask.