New Goat Owner Needs Help

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Aug 9, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Hi everyone, we bought two does last Saturday. They came from a good farm and had been de-wormed July 12. The one doe started scouring on me last Sunday. We did the whole pepto adult does twice a day. Now this is the second day of durvet neomycin oral solution. Hopefully that will stop the runs. My hubby picked up some terraycin tablets and powder, but I have not opened them. She is hydrated, eating well, acting fine. The owner says she just must be nervous. I wormed them both this morning using duravet goat wormer. I have fc alphalfa, fc goat mineral, lots of clean water, fc fescue hay and pasture for the majority of the day. She is only giving me about 3/4c of milk twice a day and the other is giving about 1 3/4 c. twice a day. Two part question, am I on the right track? The other is how do I increase the amount of milk they are giving out? The grain I feed is 18 % - I think it is country acres by purina. Thanks everyone for your time.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

1st off in your location I do not believe that the wormer your using will work. If these were my goats I would worm them again with cydectin 1 cc per 22 lb and then 10 days later with ivormec plus injectable given orally or else valbazen.

Give them some probios daily for a few days and also Fortified B Complex.

Would imagin that because of the change moving the worms have really reared their ugly heads also you probably have changed grain from what they were used too. Fescue depending on what type you have can cause toxcidity so check with your county extension agent there as to which type you have.
    http://www.arabians-international.com/fescue1.html

3. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

The cydectin is not available immeidately in the injectible, but the oral rinse can I use that? Also, the ivormec plus - they have the generic brand of that. They do have the probios, I would suspect it is labled for how much to give, and the b complex is something 1,000. Do I just d both goats one time wit that?

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Use the Cydectin Pour-On orally, not the injectable.

Sara

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

the probios give just a dab to each daily if it is the paste type also put some baking soda out for them to take at will. the B Complex I just give 3 cc to those daily for a boost. and yes it is the cydectin pour on given orally. I don't think there is a generic Ivormec-Plus but I could be wrong, have been known to be once or twice :)

6. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

might be talking about normectin plus as the generic.

7. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Silly me....exactly how does one give a shot to a goat :/ They did have cydectin for $100....we didn't get any of that, but did get the probios and I will start giving them both those two items.... I will be hunting around for someone to sell me just what I need of that particular wormer. I have only 2 goats one is about 100 lbs. and the other around 80.

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Sondra, that link is for horses.
    http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/news/2003/Jul/goats.htm

If the goat wormer you're using is Rumatel...then you definately need to switch to Cydecin Pour-On for cattle, used orally at the rate given below.
    Be very careful using this med. and don't overdose from the lable. It is in the Gentomycin family and can cause liver damage if abused.

You also might consider dropping the protein in your feed. 18% is a bit high when you're also offering alfalfa. This may be the cause for the scours. More protein is not better, as some would think. With the alfalfa you can safely drop to a 12-14% protein feed and cause less acidosis to the rumen.
    Kaye

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If you've only got two goats....sorry, go back to the feed store and purchase Quest Horse wormer. It is the same drug as Cydectin only 4 times stronger. Go to goats101 on this forum and look up the doses for goats.
    Kaye

10. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Thanks so much for the information....I just found a post that 1 cc per 100 lbs. for the Quest. Also, I wormed them this morning using Durvet Goat Wormer and then was directed on this link to do the cydectin and in 10 days do the ivormec plus.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Linda follow Kaye's advice she knows what she is talking abt and for two goats then yes quest is good. I mentioned the fescue as just a possibilty to look into regarding the scours with your goats , but bet Kaye is right again on the high protein info

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

That is the correct dose on the Quest. Just get a 3cc syringe, take the needle off, pull the plunger out and squirt 1cc into the syringe from the Quest tube. Replace the plunger gently... :lol you'll squirt the gel out if you're not careful...tap the syringe as you push the plunger to release air in the syringe.

Tell me what the ingredient is in the goat wormer- active ingredient.
    Kaye

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Kaye believe this is the contents of what she is using I tried this stuff and it did nothing for me here.

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Thanks! My computer wouldn't load the label...it's having a gremlin spell! :mad

Ok...if that's what's in your dewormer..you can also give the Quest along with it. And, nope...that does nothing for goats other than a few minor insignificant parasites.

Also consider dropping your protein levels.
    These girls have been completly uprooted from familiar and they are stressed...so expect a drastic decrease in milk production. Give them time to settle in, form a routine, and now that breeding season is upon us, you MIGHT get a little more production. It will be their next freshening before they are back up to or surpass what they were milking before.

Let us help you through their transition and by next freshening you should be getting more milk.
    Kaye

15. For the cydectin, you can call up a vet and ask if they will sell you a bit of it. That is what I do with both Ivermectin and Cydectin. I just call my vet up tell them how much of each I need and then go pick it up. :)

16. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Depends upon the price they charge you. This is not an Rx item and you'll pay more for the small amount than a tube of Quest will cost you.
    Kaye

17. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Is it safe to assume that we can still drink the milk after the Quest administration?

18. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I will use 4 milkings as a withdrawal with Quest. I use 4 milkings with the Cydectin.
    Kaye

19. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

?? Has this doe improved any?
    Kaye

20. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Also was she being fed like this at her old home? Yes you need to worm incoming stock anyway, but it could have also like Kaye said an overdone acidosis in the rumen. Vicki