New goat feeder

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by shawhee, Sep 26, 2008.

1. shawhee

shawhee Member

Hey all. Well I have been trying to come up with a goat feeder - love the nice wooden ones, but I wanted something that I could take with us when we move, as well as move around in the pen. This is what I came up with. So far it is working very well, and was relatively inexpensive to build - that always helps. Thought this idea might come in handy for others.

Edited: Added better pictures. Sorry that was with my phone. I went out and took some better ones. And figured out how to make them larger :biggrin

[imghttp://[​IMG][/img]

Shawna

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Wooo Wee... my glasses don't even help on that one, but I bet you did a good job. :lol Well phooey. I clicked on it, but Internet Explorer wouldn't open it.

3. Rose

Rose New Member

Can you write a verbal description, too, please?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hey that is nice!!

5. shawhee

shawhee Member

Thanks Sondra :biggrin

It is a wire cage that holds a plastic container. They use these for juice, chemicals, bio fuel etc. I took the wire cage and made a a-frame so the hay slides down. Then we put a roof on it. We just used hinges, so I can pull the top and the insert and they will fold flat when we move. We made it about two weeks ago, and man how it has saved on hay waste!

6. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I really like this idea. I fed my goats outdoors most of the past year, and the waste would collect water and harbor parasites. I didn't have a roof. Well, I did, but they tore it down. They have a barn to eat in now, but I really like the idea of an outdoor feeder too as I feel being outdoors most of the day is healthier, especially for the respirtory tract. Are these cages available ordinarily?
    Anita

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

What a cool idea. That is really nice.

8. shawhee

shawhee Member

Yes I searched on craigslist for mine. They are called IBC (or Intermediate Bulk Containers) Transport Containers usually found in 225 gallon or 330 gallon. But look at the distance in the wire mesh. As some of them have 4x4 or 5x5 openings. The one I have is more like 2x4 openings. I did not get the plastic tote that originally comes in these; I only wanted the wire cage. So don't buy the whole thing; just the cage - they do sell them separately. You could ask some of the larger restaurants as I know that they use them for juice.

Shawna

9. crocee

crocee New Member

I wish I could get those around here. All the companies that use them send them back, as there is a several hundred dollar deposit on them. That looks like a really great feeder though.

10. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Are you saying that there is some kind of "gate"? I love your feeder, but I'm thinking of newborn kid pens. That way you could put them anywhere and move them rather easy. Thanks for the great idea. I wish I thought out of the box like that.

Wendy

11. LMonty

LMonty New Member

they sell them around here for about 100 USD. But when I first saw it, I thought it was a hog panel or all purpose panel bent into that shape. Might that work too, a shorter hog panel on a base, with the rest the way you show it?

12. shawhee

shawhee Member

Wow - I only paid $25 bucks for it. That is the going rate here for them between 25 - 50. And no there is no gate, but I suppose that you could lift the little ones in and out. I would be concerned though as there is a bigger opening at the bottom where the plastic tote has a spigot - so I would put something there so the little ones did not get caught in it.

Shawna

P.S. There is one with the tote on OK craigslist for $10.00

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

They are sitting along the side of the hwy here along with barrels for sale and I had been thinking abt getting one for the inside plastic thing to make a kid incubator or hut out of now I could also make a hay feeder :)

14. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Oh, is that the plastic thing that someone posted pictures on for baby huts? I couldn't figure out before what they were made out of. Still not sure I've ever seen these. Thanks for the info on the problems with the wire. The plastic seems to be a better idea for kids. I'll check craigslist. There is all sorts of stuff for sale since the hurricane.

Wendy

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes Kaye posted that abt the huts

16. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Where have you seen them Sondra? I sure could use another baby hut and that is a great idea for a feeder.
    Theresa

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yeh Theresa I went and asked abt them yesterday and they are $120 not in my price range but they are west of me on 199 out across from that flee market. He wants $60 just for the wire.

18. Theresa

Theresa New Member

A little too much for me too right now. Maybe we will find some cheaper before kidding season gets here and I need more houses.
    Theresa

19. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Very nice, they look quite handy.