New doe not eating

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, Oct 2, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I brought an Alpine doe in milk home yesterday. I bought a sack of the feed she was being fed at her former home and since I use pellets and she was getting alfalfa hay I brought home a bit of hay. Before she went on the milk stand i tried to get her to eat some hay and she didn't want any of it. On the stand she ate a few bites of feed but not much. She is obviously freaked out at being here with the new sounds and animals. She just stood in a corner all day, I don't think she even laid down today. I spent quite a bit of time with her today because she seemed to like my company. Tonight on the milk stand she only took one bite of her food. I did get her to eat a few bites of alfalfa hay but again not much. Tonight she gave me about half of what she was milking at her previous home. I made the other goats and LGDs get out of the barn and I left her on the milk stand for about 20 minutes after I was finished milking hoping she would eat. I also only saw her drink once today.

I saw her chewing cud earlier today, but not much tonight. I have given her Bose and Vit b complex. If I don't see her cudding tomorrow I will give her Probios. What else can I do? How long will she be okay not eating?

Tiffany

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

She is in quaranteen?

I just brought in an Alpine also. Ginger didn't eat for a few days either, she thought she was slumming here with our grass hay, she did spend alot of time out in the pasture, she would not go near the woods. My goats freaked her out, you would think she had something against Nubians or something :) She was freaked about me, she loved my son and husband...she acted like she had never been milked before by machine and still holds her leg up because I milk from behind I suppose?

Alway worm incoming stock. Although the first day her worm burdens were low they weren't low on day 2, so even though coming from the far north they keep worms at bay easily, once stressed from the trip here her few numbers were much larger. Once she realized that she was eating oats, only oats and nothing sweet, no alfalfa hay and only alfalfa pellets, she started eating. But Ginger never milked 1/2 as much as she milked at home, she milked the same, so without eating we got thinner...and thinner and pretty soon she was freakin me out! Now she has put on a few pounds and tommorrow going to once a day milking I know she will put on a few more pounds. She is only milking 9 pounds :) I only milk until Christmas day so going to once a day, which may take me a week of not having to ease her in the evening, but we will get that 9 pounds lower. Not even 2 months later now she has found her place in the herd, she lords it over all the younger does and runs a very fast wide berth around my big Nubian does. She is just beautiful and I always get comments on what is that out in the pasture??? :)

Worm her, give her time, make feed changes really slowly. Most advice is that after she freshens at your place next year you will be in love with her...if you take it slowly you will be amazed just how much they milk by next week. vicki

3. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I wormed her this morning. She ate more alfalfa hay and a few more bites of her grain. I even saw her dare to taste the regular grass hay! Her milk is WAY down though. Should I put her on the milk stand 3 times a day? She is in a pen real close to the milk stand so it is not too stressful.

Tiff

4. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I would not put her on the milkstand without milking her, and I don't think that milking her 3x is going to help much. Just stick to the normal times of milking her, let her have access to the hay and pellets during the day and offer the grain or feed on the milkstand like normal.
    Might get the milk production back once she settles in, might not... I would think this is normal and part of moving (which we've had to do) let alone a new herd and people.

5. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I meant to actually milk her 3 times a day. I expected her milk production to go down some. I'm a worry wart when it comes to new comers though.

Tiff

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

No I wouldn't milk her 3 times a day seems to me that would be more stress. Is she isolated from the rest of the herd?

7. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

I would stick with a routine. Only milk twice a day. Once she starts to feel comfortable and is eating more, her milk production will increase. If it doesn't come up as much as you would like (give her a couple of weeks), keeping in mind that many goats drop at this time of year, both the weather, length of lactation and coming into heat, then you could consider 3 X day.

Think about it - she isn't eating much, so how in the heck will milking her more often bring up her milk production? She needs calories, or else she will rob from her own body, which will further stress her, making her more susceptible to worm overload, or shipping fever, or....And then you may have to dry her up all together. Be patient and give her some time to adjust. And definitely have her quarantined, for her own sake.

Camille