New Buck

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Sep 16, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I purchased a buckling this past weekend to breed two of my original does (18 mos.) and he is a March kid. As I have been reading some of the old posts, I have determined I need to locate a 16% meat goat pellet with ammonium chloride. There is a 15% meat goat without ac, so I suppose I could buy some ac and give him a tsp. full of ac each day. I have wormed him with cydecti and waiting for the 10 day post to give him ivermectin or valbazen. He is very pink and healthy. Never had cocci prevention done. Should I begin a corid treatment or get a fecal and then decide based on those results? Also, all his animals are CAE free...I did purchase a doe from this farm and she was also CAE free and CL free (no active CL anyways). Should I test him for CAE even though the chances of transmittal as so minute? I have given him probios and some grain in the am., fc minerals, baking soda, clean water, and hay. The grain he gets is whole oats, boss, cracked corn, beet pulp mixture. Can I continue to feed him what the girl's get as far as the grain mixture or should I go ahead and get the 15% and add the ac? Thank you tons :p

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

personally it is easier to get a medicated pellet w/ac in it call around. But that being said I feed my doe's grain to the bucks when working and make sure they get plenty of alfalfa so that the cal /phos ratio is balanced. I keep AC on hand but have never had to use it.

3. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I can get a 16% with the ac but it is not meat....it is grain protein pellets? same thing?

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

The stuff I buy is called goat developer pellets - no mention of meat. The meat goat pellets are grain pellets. The difference between the meat/developer pellets and dairy goat grain pellets is that the developer pellets contain a coccidiostat. Since the grain pellets you can get have AC, I'd go with that. Most kids don't need the medicated pellets after 6 months of age. If you feel he neds cocci prevention to deal with the stress of the move, you can always treat with sulfa or corid. Kathie

5. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

If you feel he neds cocci prevention to deal with the stress of the move, you can always treat with sulfa or corid. Kathie
    I should probably run a fecal to the vet and see if there is cocci in there, in great numbers anyways. He was never treated even as a youngling for cocci so it is probably a good idea.