New Buck

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Sep 6, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

We are considering investing in a good buck and was wondering what everyone thought about him being alone. I don't think this breeder has two of the same age to sell. I know he has an older one and a spring kid. I know you can't keep them together right? I just don't want an unhappy little man. The older one seems very tame and very handsome to boot, but my hubby thinks we had better start off small and work from there. I'm sure we would eventually get another buck from the three does we would breed, but can they wait till spring? He would have a seprate area in teh pasture so he would see the girls and be within nose shot, is that enough interaction with goats?

2. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

We have a wether of the same age with our boy, always have, but if no herdmate can be obtained, placing your boy in an adjacent paddock, where he can lay down close to the girls, smell them, see them, etc. without actually being in with them is the next best thing. Some feel it's okay to keep a buck alone, but I prefer all of my animals to have a companion of some sort. Right now, though, honestly, my buck hardly notices his buddy, nor his food, etc. He is only concerned with the girls on the other side of the fence. Some he has bred, some are not ready, or are not to be bred to him. I feel bad for him, being so hormone-driven right now. I know his condition is not his fault, but I wonder if God really needed to make bucks the way they are in the fall? He's probably having a good laugh right now with me having to shower every time I go out there!!!
    Anita

3. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I have 3 grown does and 2 6 month old doelings in my doe pasture. Three sides of the buck's pen is in the doe pasture. He lives by himself in his pen, but is able to interact with the does through the fence all year long. Sometimes they sleep beside each other at the edge of the fence.

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

My bucks share a fenceline with the does. I have never had a problem leaving them alone, in fact I prefer to keep them alone so they don't beat each other up and I can feed them seperately. But with all the critters on this place...they are ALWAYS at least within sight of other animals.

5. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

The best situation I've had is with my buck in a separate pen, very close, but not connected to the girls pen. I've heard of breedings taking place thru the fence. Never happened here tho.

6. coso

coso Guest

:yeahthat Thats how I keep mine too. He does not have nose to nose contact with the girls but can see them 30-40 yards away. I have never had any trouble. I do keep more then one in that paddock if I have two senior bucks but it is probably 1/2 acre or so.

7. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I know most do not keep their bucks together. But, I always have, with one exception. One of my earlier bucks could not be kept together with another grown buck, but he was fine with little ones. I kept him separate. But, since that time mine have all been together. They have about 4 acres and are across a road from our does. this is a country road, not a main road and runs through our farm.
    I have several bucks together right now, my 3 breeding bucks (a 5yr old, 2 yr old and a yearling) plus kids from this year. They do fine. If however I see there is a problem I will separate the offending one.
    Les

8. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I think the best place to keep your buck is at your neighbor's (and not the closest one) lol My buck shares the fence on two sides with the does, and he is content.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You have to have good fences when your bucks are older. No way will a normal net wire fence hold a big buck on one side with a doe in heat on the other. With pigs in the normal, away from everything, pen/fence that my bucks are in this time of year, GE, Nic and Chico are being tormented by does I have no intention of breeding until next month. Told my husband today, we shall see how good your fence building skills really are :) Vicki

10. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Yes, that is right. If your does share a fence line with your bucks you better build a fort. :biggrin Our buck pen is actually a converted cattle lot. It has 8" top treated posts with treated 2x6's, 5 boards high, lined with field fence and cattle panels. There taint nothin going through that fence. It has held everything from horses to goats, to pigs, to cows to a bull. And if he can breed through all of that then I should have named him Hudini. :lol With a set up like that where the does rub up and down the fence line teasing the buck, you can't miss a heat.

11. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

:yeahthat

I had a 5 yr old that got over a cattle panel no problem, couple times in a row to get into the doe pen. Until we added a few strands of electric. :twisted

12. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I do not have my buck pen next to my does. A friend of mine has lots of goat pens at her place and sometimes will have a pen containing a buck with a few does next to an all doe pen. Inevitably the buck manages to breed at least one doe from the doe pen. They even get over cattle panels when housed right next to the does. I keep my bucks together. Right now, I have two adult bucks and two bucklings in the same pen. I keep them near the house so I can keep an eye on them. Kathie