New Born Congested

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Heavenly Angels, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Heavenly Angels

Heavenly Angels New Member

This little LaMancha doeling was born yesterday around 7:00 pm. she had to be pulled. When her & her brother were all dried & fed brother layed down but this little girl kept standing there. My husband said she looked like she was hunching her back a little. I held her and let her sleep for a couple hours then fed her again, put her down to see if she would pee. She streched but no pee. I put her in with her brother and now they are both sound asleep (Never saw any goats sleep as sound as Lamanchsa) She sounds really congested too. Is there any thing I can do for the congestion???

We also got a new vet in town! He went to vet school for some of his training in Qatamala and worked on a lot of goats!! I got to know him because I sold him a goat before he went to vet school. Very nice kid. And he will give meds out for large animals if needed. ;) :D I'm in Heaven!!!!!!!

2. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Many use tylan 50 for kids that are junky that had to be pulled and spent longer than usual in the birth canal. The dose may be on the 101 page.

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've heard of folks giving the Tylan 50 as well, but the only place I've seen any is at Walco in Great Falls. When I have difficult births, I use one of those bulbs for babies to suck out the slime from their mouths. I've never given anything for congestion, so far. They seem to work through it. Is that vet in Whitehall? I wouldn't mind having another good goat vet in driving distance in case mine gets too busy.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

For babies that are in difficult births, or just can't seem to clear the airways...swing them. Do this at birth...it won't help if they're older. Just makes 'em mad.
    Grag both back feet FIRMLY ;) and swing them in a circle for 4-5 circles. This will use gravity to remove most, if not all, the mucous from the airways. The only time it will hurt them is if you loose your grip...
    Kaye

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Thanks I thought after I asked and then deleted my question abt dopram.

6. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

You can get a device called a delee suction trap...one end of a tube goes down the baby and the other end goes in a collection container...another tube comes from the container and goes in your mouth...you suck, proviiding suction. IT gets far deeper than a bulb syringe will. Also, if they are bad, if you can suction nose first before mouth it makes it less likely if they are stimulated to gasp that they will breathe in a wad of gunk.

http://www.1cascade.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=7958

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I also use Tylan 50 for rattles. It's just one shot, and it works quickly...its not so much that it gets the mucous out of the lungs, it just doesn't let it set into and infection. Vicki

8. Heavenly Angels

Heavenly Angels New Member

Sounds like a neat contrption Leanne. But then I thought of how my husband syfins gas out of the tank kinda like that. Sucks on the end first BUT sometimes it comes up quick & he gets a bunch in his mouth. OH I would hate to have that happen with the baby. :yuck :yuck

She is better today :yes thanks for all your replys. I NEED to get better prepared. I say that every year! :ugh :bang

9. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"OH I would hate to have that happen with the baby."

the tubes are not connected and there is a filter to prevent that from happening should the collection container become too full :lol