New barn questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Hearts In Dixie, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Hello all! I haven't been here in months due to college classes and clinical rotations. :down (I have missed y'all.) Thankfully my DH and DS#2 have been taking very good care of the barnyard. We are moving too. Our new farm has an old style two story milking barn that will be used solely for the goats and another barn that will be for the cows and horses. The upper level of the goat barn is huge and I want to use it for the goats living quarters. It will be warmer in the North Dakota winter and I can install a barn vent fan along with opening the hay loft doors (with gates acroos to keep the goats in) to make it pleasant in the summer. The wind always blows in NoDak so it should be very nice in the summer. :biggrin

I will be adding a layer of plywood to the current loft flooring. I am in search of a product that I can paint or spray on the flooring that will be make it nonpourous, chemical resistant and animal friendly. I can then bed the floors with straw. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Marla

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin I have wondered which side of the world that you guys fell off of. ....so, it is so good to see this post.
    Just thinking on your question a bit.........I would think that a polyurethane base product would probably serve you best. This "plastic shell" would meet most of the requirements that you listed I think.

I used a latex based (not the oil base) wood preserver (Thompson's) on my barn floors, and it's holding up pretty well after 2 years.......but it really soaked in, and I have my doubts how well it stopped up all the pores.

Maybe some more post will come in with other suggestions.

Good to hear from yaw, and hope all has been well.

Whim

3. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

If I were you I would put the goats on the bottom floor of the barn and not the top. Growing up in Pennsylvania we had a two story barn with the dairy cows on the bottom floor and the top portion was used for hay storage. It kept the animals much warmer in the winter which I would think you would especially need. The short summers you have there you could easily just put in ventilation fans in the lower portion to keep them cooler, but usually their outside most of the time during the summer months. But using hay as insulation for them will keep them much warmer and comfortable in the winter months.

Ray

4. lorit

lorit Senior Member

In an effort to not start a new topic and since this is so close to what I wanted to ask, I am raising it from the dead. :)

We are hopefully closing this week on a new place and it has a 24 x 44 two story barn. The larger side of the upper will be hubby's "shop" and storage and the smaller side will be my hay storage. It has nice steps already built, lighting, etc.

The area behind the stairs will be perfect for enclosing (to keep clean) for my milking area. That leaves a smaller side (under the hay loft) that I was thinking to be the bad weather/night time area for the does.

The other side (about half) I need to make a stall for pony, stall for buckling, and I'd like a kidding/sick goat stall to have for when needed. There also has to be enough room left for the "boys toys" (dirt bikes) as we won't have another place for them in the near future.

I was planning to use plywood for closing off the milk room area. And cattle and/or hog panels for dividing and making stalls. That gives me flexibility for future changes.

My biggest question is what to do with the floors. They are dirt/gravel right now and the barn is about 30 years old but has had no critters for 3 or more years. I understand the whole concrete issue but that isn't happening. I read about lime - at the risk of sounding stupid what is its purpose? If I lay down lime - how thick and is it a bottom layer?

Would sand go on top of that? Then bedding? I have also thought about getting stall mats for the horse stall and my milking room for sure, and possibly the goats pens - anyone use those and are they easier or harder to keep clean?

Any other suggestions? It will be so nice to have more room and start fresh. :)

5. Fiberaddict

Fiberaddict New Member

Stall mats are *great*, but pricey. Easy to clean - remove bedding, hose off, wet/dry vac the water, re-bed. IF you can afford them - that'd be my #1 choice.

Lime - lime disinfects and "eats" the urine (if I remember right. I just use the stuff. :lol ) Clean it down to the gravel, lime heavily (in our doe area, I use half a 50 pound bag when I want to "do it right - it's about 12' x 20'), then shaving/sand on top of that. I don't do a deep layer of lime - the pee spots eat it up pretty quick - I do enough that there is a fine dry layer all over. I then put down shavings - I would use sand, then shavings/paper shreddings, but our Cashmere goats' coats would get too messy.

Have fun! :lol