New baby area pics

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jan 13, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK this is our new & improved baby area in my breakfast nook...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Very nice. How long do you keep them there before you move them out to a larger pen?

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

AH that worked out nice.

4. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Depends... LOL

yr 1 they were there over 2 months... until dh could build a baby area outside, but we only had 4 kids.

last yr I moved them out pretty quick, but it was warmer when we were kidding...

so this yr... will depend on how fast the area fills up!

They are easier to care for in the house... my dh loves them in the house especially for our *littles* to visit with...

My 3yo has decided they are not goats... they are "Lumpies" (from a pooh bear movie) and goes over to pet them and talk to them.... "You ok Lumpies???"

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Wow Lynn, that's pretty cool! I use the large boxed that my plastic milk jugs come in. I just keep them in the laundry room with one of those "boot keepers" my sis got me a few years back on the bottom and some shavings on top. Works out great for us. We can close the door to the laundry room to let the little ones sleep with out me waking 'em when I'm roaming the house in the middle of the night. :D

6. Melissa

Melissa New Member

wish my DH was more open minded about goats in the house. though last year when I was bottleing only one doeling I did bring her home for night feedings the first several nights. but she was quit and didn't make too much of a fuss.

-Melissa

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Melissa get you one and put a diaper on it and stick it in the bed with you. :rofl I woke up and DH was laying there with the baby up against him with his arm wrapped around her. They were both snoring. :lol So cute. Would have loved to get a picture of that, but I would have woke them up.

Nice area Lynn. Lumpies. How cute. :biggrin

Tip: Putting Diapers on baby goats.
    Put them on backwards, they stay on better. ;)

8. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

snort I told dh & Becca about you doing that Chris.... I got THE LOOK... but at the time Becca was just wandering around carrying and petting this drowsy baby goat... LOL

A funny... these girls are 25% nubian... the cream one has slightly longer ears... and she is the whiniest thing.... hollaring attention and her bottle...

9. KUrby

KUrby New Member

Oh my goats in the house!?? :biggrin
    But putting diapers on them? Oh my that's steppin big. :rofl
    Karen

10. Those are nice. I had two kids in the house last year. They were TINY pygmys. It was just too cold for them in the barn and there was no way I was going to risk them freezing. So they moved into my room. One afternoon I let Carmella out (it was at feeding time.) She ran down the hallway following me. My mom was in the living room and Carmella took off springing side ways, jumped on the couch did a spring and jumped off the edge. It was cute. She was running all over the place. When she seen the bottle in my hand she came running. Lol.

11. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Dh chose to NOT bend, but rather cut the panel. He used the cable clip things to attach the pieces....

I tend to give him my *needs* and what I am thinking... and then he builds it... usually not how I picture lol but this works well.. the far end there is gate latches with padlocks {{giggle}}

The near end fits over the counter and is held by our water bottles... the wall at that end is brick and he preferred not to drill into it.

He usually gets more *involved* than what *I* picture LOL but it usually works.

for the divider between our goat shelters that I wanted for seperating a laboring doe... *I* pictured just 2 t posts driven in near the doorway then we'd slide a piece of fencing between t posts and wall as needed...

instead he took the old door and installed 4 hooks and eyes... takes 2 people to set it up... Ginger already broke it down twice... second time knocked it down on my shoulder! OUCH...

12. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

LOL mine are a hoot in the house too... I have a pic from either 06 or 07 of a "wild & crazy goat party".... looks like one is dancing neekid on my couch!

13. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

OK-- kind of a thread drift, but I looked at your post title and had to post it.
    Have any of you ever been to goatweb? It was the first site I found when we were getting goats.
    Some of the posters used terms like "Baby area" to describe anatomical features of the doe. I had to open this to be sure I knew what you were REALLY talking about... :)
    Seriously - I don't think I could take advice from anyone who couldn't say "vulva" or whatever other part was having a problem.

14. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

snort nod I DO know what you mean BHF... there is a certain childbirth author who uses terms like that and I just {{shake my head}}....

Although we do tend to refer to *goopy rears* here... LOL

But no *baby area* will always by me refer to an area to keep babies...

15. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Agree totally---just use the scientific name and be done with it. How are you supposed to know which part I'm asking about if I just say "her rear end area is red/swollen/whatever" Or his baby making parts?

16. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

ROFL - please post the pic I am laughing so hard just thinking about it.

Anne

17. KUrby

KUrby New Member

Oh man that looks like it got wild in there!! :rofl
    Karen

18. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Lynne
    What kind of panel is that made with? I'm going to get busy setting up my kidding area this week......have La Manchas & Nigerians freshening in a month.

19. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

That is a pig panel.... holes are smaller at the bottom and it is shorter so easier to reach over