New babies are prodigies!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by BlueHeronFarm, Feb 20, 2008.

1. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

They are 24 hours old and on the lambar.

...we're not messing around this year. :nooo

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I keep saying we are going to go to lambars but so far it hasn't happened. Taking 10 bottles out to the barn is a pain.

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

OMG I have to get the holes drilled for the new lambar, or get the old one in from the barn and disinfect it. Those two first born doelings are over 2 weeks old and on a bottle still, they will drive me NUTS moving to lambar. what was I thinking :crazy Oh I remember I was going to make up a mini bucket :yeahthat whoops didn't get that done yet.

4. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

We also stopped using pop bottle nipples. The lambar nipples fit on a pop bottle, so we just started with those. Just a tip if you're thinking of tough-loving them like we did. :)

5. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Update-- Now with photos!

[​IMG]

6. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Great picture! We moved our kids to the lamber two days ago and are not having any problem.

7. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

How much of a pain are those tubes to clean? I bought a Lambar, but also bought a bucket feeder that has no tubes, but only feeds 3 at once.

8. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

We just rinse them right after the kids are done with cool water, then run hot through them, then squirt hi-chlor sanitizing solution down them.

We did have a teeny brush, but we don't really use it. PITA.

9. Katarina

Katarina New Member

We run hot water though them and then put the tubes in a bowl of hot soapy water so all the tubes get water in them and the rinse them again, it keeps them clean. I have learned that you can hold two tubes under our water at the same time and rinse them both so it is a little faster for me then my sisters. :D

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

they are soo cute.

11. Truly

Truly New Member

Very Cute

I start with pritchart nipples, then switch to lambar nipples on the bottles. Then switching to lambar is no big deal.

I might try your way, as that makes life even easier.

I have three does due in three days at the end of March. Fun Fun

12. Katarina

Katarina New Member

(LeeAnne/Qvrfullmidwife speaking here) We also do run bleach solution through them after each washing and once a week use a scrub brush on the inside of the tubes. We have always doen the gray lambar nipples from the get-go.

Lisa you have missed your calling...your cheese is *great*, but your pictures are really something special. :)

13. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Oh, thanks. I was in photography school before we moved out here. Sigh. One day we may turn the egg cooler into a darkroom, but I can't even begin to think about it now.

I AM thinking about hiring myself out to do photography for other farm folks' websites. Charge a flat fee to come out and shoot a hundred or so pics and then send a disk.

...if anyone is interested, PM me. We'll have a break after 3/10 -- when 4 are due to kid. Yow!

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We will hire you for appraisal for sure! I don't know why I always rush through appraisal and then sit around talking and eating with the appraiser for 2 hours afterwards!!! This time there will be photos taken before we milk them....

Speaking of which, everyone get your deposit in before March 1st! Vicki

15. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Cute photo!

I thought for sure you were talking about LaManchas... they are on the lambar at the second feeding! :D

Sara

16. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Yep our babies are on the lambar by 24 hours old too, I just can't stand to sit around with a bottle.

17. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Too cute! I guess we didn't know it was supposed to be hard to switch from bottles to the lambars. Our Saanens are such greedy little cusses that it takes 2 feedings to get them switched. Might have to look at using the lambar nipples to start though... hmmm.

Camille
    P.S. Gosh Vicki, how do you get 2 extra hours? Our appraiser always has another stop breathing down his neck... Definitely ditto on the appraisal pictures. We did okay last year (except we missed the first doe) until DS messed up his teeth on the trampoline and had an emergency dentist visit. No more pictures after that! After struggling for good pics for our upcoming website, I am hoping DH will be more vigilant about getting pics at shows too.