Neuropsy?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sondra, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Where do you all send ?? or is it just thru a vet?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Re: neuropsy??

Necropsy, dead animal parts sent to a lab for testing? Your vet. Most labs won't accept stuff like this from lay folks. Vicki

3. Re: Necropsy?

I do most of mine myself. Hmmm...i guess a degree in BioChem really does help. All depends on what you want to find out.

Ken in MI

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Re: Necropsy?

Oh someone had triplet abort or premature and she was going to send in one to see what the results are as to why but her vet said $120 didn't know if this was routine or not.

5. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Around here folks will send/take their animals to WSU, without vet involvement.

Try to call an Ag-type teaching University. They may have a simple protocol for accepting animals.
    After all, your vet has to send the stuff somewhere, right?

(WSU would probably take it, but in order to get it there in a timely fashion may get pricey...?)

Camille

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Most abortion panels run about $100. A necropsy here, at our State Lab, runs about $40. We deliver them to Little Rock and fill out a form, leave them in a freezer on a dock. Real professional. :really Vets generally tack on an extra $$$.
    Kaye

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Thanks

8. Rose

Rose New Member

One of my calves died when I was teaching at a rural high school. I took the body in, and the biology class did an autopsy. We found out that the calf's back had been stepped on and broken.

Believe it or not, there were a few parents who had minor fits about it. Luckily, we had a great principal, and he backed up the biology teacher for having a lab class far above and beyond the norm!

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

For myself it is cheaper to use my vet, no shipping, no driveing to A&M and we only send parts, parts that she butchers out. She also takes the placenta or blood or kid to A&M herself. Liver I do myself. I would rather pay her, she gets much better service than I do and then pay the lab bill when it is sent. Besides then I am not guessing of what organ or what panel to ask for. Vicki