Needles and Syringes

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Pairaka, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

I need to order needles and syringes and would like some input on what is the best size(s) of both to have on hand. I'm tired of buying them both in packs of five or ten at either the Co-op or TSC and would like to have a good quantity on hand but have no idea what the best size needle would be to have or the best size syringe. Or if I should have an assortment.

Ideas, suggestions? Thanks,

-- Wendy

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol I buy them by the box from Jeffer's.
    1. 12cc luer slip- Jeffer's brand
    2. 3cc luer lock with a 22 ga x 3/4"-Jeffer's brand
    3. 18 ga. x 1" for those thick injectables

I also order a few 20ml and 30ml and the weak kid syringe. Anything used for oral administration is soaked in chlorahexidine/water, dried and oral is wrote on the syringe with a sharpie.

Yeah, I'm cheap, but orally it doesn't have to be sterile...I trash 'em when there are more teeth marks than cc marks.
    Kaye

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Same here, all my syringes are thrown into a bottle of chorhexideen diluted and used for oraly wormers etc. Needles are trashed...I wish I could tell you I use some fancy sharps container, but I keep an old nasty dirty soda can out in the barn :)

I use 18 for nearly everything, purchase the lure lock 3cc syringes and needles, and then a seperate box of needles. I use alot of 6cc syringes so get a box of them. Then just a handful of bigger ones. Love my weak kid syringes also.

I do have a larger nylon syringe and needles, don't use the needles, but use that syringe for everything now, love it.

I just went through a armorie/cabinet in my barn that honestly hadn't been cleaned out in years. I have enough stuff in there to outfit several goat farms...2 disbudding irons....how weird is that! And one is so old that it was when Rhinehart 50's came with long cords! Glowed cherry red in about 5 mintues. I won't need to buy vet wrap forever there were colored rolls in every box in the cabinet! Even found my old barn records from 92. vicki

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol My *sharps* container is a thick, 1 gal., plastic deisel oil container. Endless supply with 3 deisel trucks. ;)

Oh, if you use Cydectin...those hard plastic pistol grip syringes are the way to go!
    Kaye

5. old dominion

old dominion New Member

One of my favorite tricks is to buy a few 1/2 cc insulin syringes from the drug store for really young kids. They are great for thin injectables, easy to read, and easy on the kids. The tiny needles slip right in sq or im.

Jolene

6. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I use an empty bleach jug for my sharps. Works out great, and I always have empty bleach jugs! I also keep the insulin syringes on hand. They do work well for kids...

Dito on reusing oral syringes..

Ken

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Ok were are you guys dumping your used needles ? I have mine in a gallon pickled sausage jug .

Patty

8. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I too use 3cc and 6 cc syringes and 18 gauge x 1 needles for almost everything. Last Year I bought 20 x 3/4 for kids but I also keep insulin syringes on hand for that . I also have one of the large Nylon syringes from my fil I don't use the needles but the syringe is great for oral meds.

9. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

My DH takes my to the ambulance server with him when he goes to work.

10. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol I'm pleading the 5th ammendment on that one!!
    Kaye

11. Kalne

Kalne New Member

We use 18 gauge 3/4" needles. I'm tired of getting them at the feed store too as half the time they are out. I want to order them in bulk somewhere. Need to check Jeffers. For our last group of kids we bought 23 gauge. They went in easier. For some reason we just could not get the 18's to go in. Never had a problem before that.

As for disposal....they go with the rest of the trash. We're suppose to do something different?

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And in conjunction with a certain email I just sent out....What was the question ????

I did go out and change out my needle can, it's now red, has sharps written on it :) vicki

13. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

Thank you for your suggestions, everyone. I have a nice little list to order from Jeffers come next payday.

As for sharps, I'll probably start using the bleach jug solution. Right now I've got them in a quart mason jar, but I've been thinking about something different.

-- Wendy