Need to Know

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Sheryl, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Has anyone ever made a turquoise/aqua soap. What did you use to make it turn that way? And I mean really turquoise like the stone color.

And someone in the last swap made a beautiful soap that was kinda creamy white, with very pretty gold and dark blue swirls in it. I need that blue. It is kinda of a blue jean blue. How did you get that color?

And last but not least. Since we all strive to get our goat milk soaps as white as possible....I want to do the opposite on one batch. I want a rich creamy brown, kinda like a leather color. If I just mix my lye with my milk will I get this color? No ice cubes, no milk ice, just milk?

I know I need to do some experimenting on getting these colors, but thought if someone had gone that direction before that I could get a few tips before I start trying...maybe I won't waste a lot of product before I get the desired colors.

TIA for any help you can give me.

Sheryl

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Getting the color I want is the bane of my existence in soap making! I want light blue with a near white top on one scent. 1st batch I got the near white top but the bottom turned green. 2nd batch I got the beautiful blue I wanted but the top is yellowish. *shrug* Also depends on the FO. Most of mine are naturally beigey without trying to control color.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sheryl those are mica I think in that soap you got in the swap. Also NO you don't want to do your milk and lye without it cold because it will just burn the milk and then it sticks like burnt milk use some coco powder for brown. Vannilla also make for tan soap

4. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Sheryl,
    these are some tough questions to answer, yes you can get a turquoise color, but it all depends on oils used, fragrance used, soap temp of milk used..
    You want as cool as possible with soaping, so milk lye mix must be almost white and you must use a fragrance that does not discolor at all.. Saying all that, peacock colors has a chart that you can mix colors to get exactly the shade you want.. But again amount will make a difference here so you would have to experiment..
    Blues are easy, just making sure that you put proper amount of coloring into soap depending how big of batch of soap...
    I will try to find my color charts for your turquoise and see what it says..
    Barbara

5. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Thanks all. I know those are some tough questions, but I was hoping to start my expiermenting with some directions of what others had tried to achieve. :biggrin you guys are great thanks. I have been thinking about the peacock colors and/or micas.

Sheryl

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I had the goldish orange and blue. The blue was an accident - it was supposed to be purple! I used the grape color from MMS.

just got a really good blue but not the blue you are looking for from blue ultramarine from BB.

7. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

I make dark brown soaps all the time! Sometimes I even do it deliberately! :D

Just put the lye in the water and make sure it's dissolved. Then add it to the milk. Add honey to the soap. Some essential oils will help make the soap brown, like vanilla.