Need tips on giving Cydectin

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, May 20, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Any tips on how to give Cydectin and actually have them ingest it? I try to put syrup in the syringe after the Cydectin to help with the taste. No good. I think the most we got from this was purple faces.

The first time I gave it all I had was smaller syringes that I couldn't fit the syrup in and I think it went better because it didn't take so long to give. The biggest problem I had both times was the syringe won't push down easily with the Cydectin. Then it gets slippery and even harder to push.

I don't blame the goats for screaming and flailing around when I try to force it down their throats. That stuff is AWFUL. I would have a fit too.

Tiffany

2. Belle

Belle New Member

Get a nylon syringe from Jeffers, they are much easier to work with than the disposable ones! The feeding syringe also works well because it has a metal tip that allows you to place meds further back in the mouth.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use one of those big things with the curve long metal thing on the end can't remember what it is called but works great for any type of oral syringing just put in the back of the mouth and plunge the stuff in. Worth every penny can get at TSC abt $6.

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

It's called a Drenching Gun and you should be able to pick one up at any feed store.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Or just oil up a regular syringe first, after the first use you can do the rest of the girls. Your technique is faulty if they are fighting you...flailing around? Get them up on the milkstand. My does, of all the wormers, dont' even mind Cydectin.

Alot like disbudding, most kid start screaming just being held right way before the iron hits them. Most goats start protesting being held in a half nelson or having their mouths pried open, having nothing to do with the meds you are putting in their mouth.

All my does I can worm without even being on the milkstand because it's a trick. Now bucks are clipped to the fence. Vicki

You can't put anything in the front of a goats mouth, they will sling it out of their mouth. You have to put it far back on the tongue and then holding their mouth shut until they swallow.

6. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Duh, I have a drenching gun. I will definitely try that.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Another tip on drenching anything....keep the nose lower than the eyes. If you crank that head up and try to squirt it down their throat, yep, they're going to fight you because you have made it difficult to swallow.

Put the syringe in the corner of the mouth and squirt it toward the back of the tounge.
    Most feed stores carry the pistol grip nylon syringes...I'm going on my second year with the last one I bought just to use with Cydectin.
    Kaye