Need tapeworm help (Fecal photos added)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravens Haven, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Hello all,

Well I usually don't have issues as such but I leased a doe last November then decided to purchase her, she came from a farm that overfed their animals so much so that this particular doe was 35lbs overweight when she got here, it was grotesque. I made her lose weight then she had triplet bucks and went down hill I followed all of my worming regimens well I am in a tapeworm battle with her, she has had two rounds of Valbazen we are week out from the last doe and she was passing LOTS of tape segments tonite, she is sunk in at the tailhead but she eats good (nothing like she used to) shiny coat, they are almost due for copper bolusing but she is the only one I am fighting this with ARGH!!!... She is a beautiful doe but I want her in top shape before breeding her. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Autumn

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Re: Need tapeworm help

There is no tape worm battle in adult goats, tapes are of no consequence unless and adult is already dabilitated.

Take a fecal, make sure what you are thinking is the problem is actually tapes, and there are different kinds of tapes also. If your doe is loosing condition what do her eye membranes look like? Do them against the Famacha, eye anemia chart on goatkeeping 101. Also there are worms that simply eat condition off your goats.

I would not, 'not copper bolus' if she is due. But I would find out why she is contiuneing to loose weight.

Another thought is fatty liver, just because you were able to shirnk her down externally she is still packed with fat internally, sort of like walking ketosis. Any foaming at the mouth or sweet smell to her cud? Vicki

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

She is pregnant due, I wouldn't do that to her in this condition, she seems fine, no sweet smell to her cud, no foaming, she is bright eyed and bushy tailed. She has actually gotten some meat back around her tailhead (sorry forgot to mention that) but it isn't anything like the rest of my goats. And all those tapes in her poo is just nasty. I will get a poo sample today when I go to the barn and do a fecal. I actually thought she was doing better b/c her condition improved but yesterday when I saw all that in her poo I was kind of shocked.

Thanks
    Autumn

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

What do you mean ?? I thought you were wanting to breed her?

5. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Sorry, I guess I was still under the effects of my pain killers....

I meant to say is isn't pregnant due but due for her copper bolus before breeding season...

I want to breed her but I want her clean of parasites before I do it.

Thanks
    Autumn

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I am no expert at all as don't think I have had the issue, but this is my take on any type of worm load.
    I would go ahead and copper bolus her, give BoSe and if her immune system is low would do more than one shot of BoSe like a week apart. Fortified B Complex and do fecal checks to make sure what I am dealing with.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I meant that if she is due to be copper bolused than do it.

They shed tapes for at least a week after using a wormer that contains a product to kill them. Alas they are mostly pooped out alive and squirming...spaghetti for lunch anyone ?? Vicki

8. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Ok thanks everyone, yep it is time for bose, copper, worming and such. As soon as I get someone to help get the poo I will get a fecal done (remember broke foot not too much help these days) but I have to get everyone ready for breeding for sure. THis weekend is it...

Thanks
    Autumn

9. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

HEre is what I found tonite:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know the one is HC but I don't know what the other one is.

10. shawhee

shawhee Member

Not experienced but according to my book Vet Clinical Parasitology; it appears to look like a tapeworm egg.

Shawna

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yes, it's a tapeworm egg packet. Good call.
    Have you tried fenbendazole? Safeguard or Pancur? These have worked for me on some kids, when Valbazen didn't. Probably because I'm not in the least afraid to overdose with Safeguard. ;)
    giggling...why you think they call it "Safeguard"...safe for animal and worms.
    Kaye

12. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Not sure what most do, but I do 2 1/2 times the does of Safeguard.

I sure there is a standard in goatkeeping 101.

Troy