Need some recommendations

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by jimandpj, Apr 20, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

I'm still very new to soaping. I've made the walmart recipe with several different FO's. They've all turned out well. Now I want to try swirls. I have lemon EO and peppermint EO. I'd like to make two separate soaps with those two EO's.

Should I stick with the walmart recipe? Or try a different one? Any recommendations on what I should use to make swirls that would work well with those two EO's? (these will be two batches of soap - not mixing the two EO's together).

I'd love any advice before I start. With all my small children, there is very little "safe" time for me to soap, so I don't want to waste the opportunity when I get it. Someday I'll be able to experiment and play, right now I knew advice from all you experts! :D

Thanks!
    PJ

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Citrus EO's on their own fade quickly, you might want to purchase some listea cubea, a tiny bit of patchoulli, lemon grass and tea tree oil etc...to add to it to seat it. You can also add the zest of a lemon plus it adds tiny little flecks to the soap.

So make your normal batch of soap, when at very very light trace pour about 2 cups of your raw soap into a measuring cup with a pointy pour spout..the old tupperware cups work excellent. Now put your zest and perhaps some yellow mica or oxide in the main bucket and stir, now add your EO and stir. Pour this into your mold. Now with a skinny stream pour a snake back and forth all over your mold with the measuring cup about 8 inches from your mold, now go back over the other way with your snake and pour the cup of soap over the mold about 1 inch away. Pouring fat away makes the non-color dump to the bottom of the mold, pouring close it stays near the top. Now take a chop stick and makes swirls though the soap all the way to the bottom, using the chop stick near the end when you are moving to harder trace will also leave you with pretty designs thorough the soap. When you are done you will have pretty yellow soap with flecks from the zest with a white (blind) swirl.

Do your Peppermint the opposite...leave the body of the soap plain and to your 2 cups of soap to swirl with use a tiny 1/8 tesp of green oxiode or green mica. This way you will have two different swirls.

Stay with your walmart soap recipe until you have lots of practice, because the lard in the recipe and the oils at a low level give you trace quicker than lots of oil...but it gives you tons of time to play with your soap before it's too firm to swirl or texture. It also can't be blamed for any dreaded orange spots (DOS), ash, riceing, accelarting, oil slicks....you can blame any of that on your FO, EO or under mixing. Vicki

3. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I like to use pink clay to color a portion of my peppermint soap. But since I use log molds I do 'in the pot' swirls that aren't as swirly looking as those done in the mold.

4. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Thanks!

I'll let you know how it turns out. :D

PJ