Need Some Questions Answered.....UGH

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Nov 12, 2008.

1. It's back...atleast I am 99.9% sure it's coccidia again.
    Won't get a fecal to the vet till Friday.

(After I post this.) Hannah will be given Probios, Wormed, and given dimethox. Temp will be taken to.

Questions:
    Will dimethox 12.5% & 40% abort does that are about 1 month in pregnancy?

I believe all 3 does are bred, all 3 are about a month in their pregnancy, if dimethox will not abort them I'm going to treat all 3 of them the first time around. I have been through this enough. One has it, they will all get it. Happend twice before and I'm hoping to prevent it this time around.

What are the chances Hannah will not lose this pregnancy? If she doesn't, what should I do to ensure she recooperates well? Should I lute her?

Thankyou in advance. I'm going to head out and take care of Hannah. I wont dose anyone else until I check this thread.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

don't think dimethox will hurt during pg but better to check with Vicki/Kaye or Sara

3. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Look, did you ever get a real parasite identification? The reason I say this is that there are a couple of cyrptosporidians that look very like cocci on a fecal, but they don't respond to normal cocci medications or doses. I'd try and think outside the box here, and not necessarily assume it's cocci.

And what were her symptoms again?

4. The runs (Starts out cow patty type then progressively gets worse until its watery), she's hunched up, grinding teeth, off feed, temp at 5ishPM 100.6.

forgot to check eyelids when I was down there milking Delilah. Im going to check on them so I'll check.

When the fecal was ran the first time this happened, it came back coccidia. I want another fecal ran but I cant get one done till Friday unless my sis can come out here tomorrow afternoon.
    They all three responded to the coccidia treatment, the runs disappeared, they started feeling better and eating with in a few days of starting it. I always made sure to complete each round, I never skipped a day or just up and quit. I made sure to give them their dose every single day of their treatment.

Thanks
    Any other questions just ask. I'll try to answer them the best I can.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Jo this goat has a history of serious cocci problems so treating her for cocci won't hurt anything until she get the Vet on Fri.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

get a temp on her Amy

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I would treat for cocci.

There is a serious underlying problem in your herd for mature does to get another acute case of cocci.

Sara

8. Sondra, I posted her temp above from this evening. Im going to retake her temp when I go back down to check though.

I already dosed her w/ dimethox.

I used dimethox the other time to. Do you think its worth switching meds?

I thought I had the problem solve with the girls not absorbing their minerals correctly, leaving their immune system compromised, fixed that problem, and they dont inhale the minerals like usual. They have really slowed down on them, but they still eat them. SO I thought I figured out the problem. Obviously not...

9. Any thoughts?

10. Should/Could I give her a bose shot? She had one in August... just trying to think of things that may help her...

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I give any one off BoSe as it helps the immune system
    sorry I didn't see the temp 100.6 is WHY too low are you still milking her?
    get CMPK down her now. Get a coat on her and give her some banamine to help the gut and diarreah

12. No she is not being milked. She's been dry for over a month. I'll give her a bose shot tomorrow morning. I just went down there to check on them and checked eye lids to. Her temp is 101.7. So its going up now.

Going by the famancha chart,
    Georgia is a 1.
    Delilah is a 3.
    Hannah is a 4.
    https://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,1472.0.html

Should I go ahead and worm Delilah? Or should I wait till after I get a fecal done? I am going to take a fecal of Hannah and Delilah to the vets office.

13. Sondra, You are correct. Kaye PM'd me. :)

So obviously there is an underlying issue. How do I go about finding it?
    Thanks

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would wait for the vet fecal cks and do all 3 of them see the difference and then get back here with the results what are you worming with and how much.

15. When I took the fecal in last time, they just said coccida and gave me stuff to give to the goat.

SO this time, Do I ask for the amount of eggs and type of eggs found in the fecal even if there isn't enough to be too concerned about?

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would see about sending in fecal material to a lab. There is something seriously wrong. The only time an adult doe has cocci is if severely stressed or living in utter filth. Even then she would build immunity or die in the environment.

I would worm and cocci treat everyone as you wait for re fecals to come in from your state lab. Ask your vet for some Diarsynal. Invite a seasoned breeder over for lunch and to walk your pastures and barn with you...you are missing something.

Have you changed anything at all this last week? New hay, do you feed byproduct feed tags for your grain? Vicki

17. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

I'm nowhere near as experienced as Vicki, Kaye or others on here, but I do seem to recall that you were having problems with your water supply or well a while back? Is it possible that there is something wrong with your water?

Jonell

18. Thankyou for the replies.

A member has brought up an interesting point through PM. This member brought up the idea of something happening in their past, maybe as kids, that is compromising their immune system.

Hannah came from a herd in the neighboring county. Herd health is very important to her previous owners. They raise thier kids on CAE & Coccidia prevention. Her previous owner is actually a member of this forum.

Delilah came from a herd here in this county. Again herd health is very important to them also. Delilah was dam raised instead of raised on CAE Prevention. Never had Coccidia as a kid either.

And Georgia, she was born/raised here on this property, on CAE and Coccidia prevention.

Jonell- Our well quit working, the one at the house. We have another hydrant coming off DIFFERENT well down by the barn. So there's two wells. One well had hard water (w/ HIGH iron) coming from it while the house hydrant has soft water (w/low iron) coming from it. Once the new well was done, I switched the girls to the low iron water. They eventually quit inhaling the minerals. They still eat them of course but they have slowed down. I thought we found the problem. They have been on this water source for a month+.

Vicki-
    I have switched grain, but Hannah doesn't get any of it,just Delilah. I feed Oats,Corn, Boss, Beetpulp, and Calf Manna. (I quit using provider 38 when I ran out of it.)

I have started adding grass hay in their alfalfa hay to stretch the alfalfa till this weekend but I started that two weeks ago. And I started that slowly.

The girls haven't been stressed recently. Since breeding w/ the bucks everything has been going easy. The only one that leaves the pen is Delilah to get milked morning and night. Everything has been going well so I dont see any ways they were stressed. Now the first time around, we had just got back from a show, and that is probably what cause it, but this time. :sigh

The girls pen isn't kept dirty. Obviously NOW it needs cleaned out since Hannah has had the runs all over the pen. I plan on stripping it out today and putting new bedding down.

19. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

I'm probably grasping at straws here, but I'm a bit familiar with the problems water softeners can cause, I'm working on mine right now. Is it possible that your water softener itself is maybe fouled? I know that they can get fouled with bacteria and other unsavory stuff, is there a way that you can get the water tested? Our local health department will check ours, but I'm in Ohio, I don't know if Indiana is the same.I also messed up the settings on ours one time, the water tasted awful, very salty. I only had a sip and spit most of it out, but that little bit that I swallowed gave me the runs all day, lol.

I've been to your farm, I bought one of your kinder doelings this spring, the dam was Hannah. I know that you keep your pens clean, I saw it myself.

Jonell

20. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Kids don't get immunity from cocci from their dams, they build immunity to cocci by having levels raise in their body that they fight off, then the next time it comes at them, they can fight it off without you even knowing (if you don't fecal) that there was even a higher level of cocci in their system.

So kids die, live, and some who live are forever ruined from intestinal scarring, which in the end you will never know until you necropsy and see this scarring and ruined intestines. If this later is your problem then any change at all speeds nutritients though the intestine unabsorbed and makes for liquid poop, because the goats aren't absorbing anything, even fluids from the poop in the intestine. Really it's scours, which always comes back clean.

I would call around and find a lab that runs fecals on chambered slides, explain the problems I am having with ongoing diarrhea that although I can stop up, comes right back. wsu, Texas A&M, LSU, Langston etc....bypass the vet and go right to them, most of goat facilities you can contact and talk to the person in charge.

Have your water tested.

There is an ongoing problem either with the health of your goats or something they are ingesting. Vicki