Need some new ideas for keeping mini horse out of the goat shed

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mysacrificenubians, Oct 9, 2008.

1. mysacrificenubians

mysacrificenubians New Member

I have a large 3-sided shed that is divided in half for the goats and the horse. Right now the mini is in his stall during the day and let out at night. The goats are on the opposite schedule.. out during the day and in their stall at night.

I'd like to let them all out at the same time but this *smart* mini has gotten over/under/broken everything I've put up to keep him out of the goats' side. The goats need free access to their side while keeping the mini out of their alfalfa pellets and minerals, plus need an escape from him if they so choose.

I first tried a chain snaked through an old hose and this worked for a while until he figured out that he could get in by going backwards under it. He got in but couldn't get out. I lowered it, but my big doe had trouble getting under it. I then tried a 2X4 but again, low enough so he couldn't get under or over it, the doe had trouble getting under.

I need some new ideas so he isn't doomed to stay in the stall everyday!

2. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Maybe you should look at limiting his access through width instead of height. I'm not sure how fat your mini is as most i've seen are pretty chubby. Maybe you can make it so that the goats can squeeze through an area height wise and width wise that he can't?

Ray

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

any why can't he have alfalfa pellets and minerals? I would use a cattle panel and slide it over so the goats can get in and he can't.

4. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I have the same problem. My mini CANNOT have the alfalfa pellets as he will eat them ALL....and he does NOT need them. I feel your pain! We've had two different set ups, the first using an electric net fencing opened just enough to let the goats out of their paddock or in at will, but not the mini..he was too fat to get through. I also ran two strands of horse tape around the whole thing just to make sure the bigger horses didn't try to go over the net. I like to have a seperate paddock area for the goats, not just a stall. That way i can put their feed inside the stall where the horses can't see it and so do not try to get it...breaking things in the process. They also enjoy their seperate lounging space and do not have to go inside to get away from the horses, but during mid-day they all do enjoy going out into the bigger pasture to graze together. The goats will not go far from the barn without the horses so that works out well, they get better browse and grazing that way. You could probably make a similar paddock with some inexpensive electric wire or tape...keep the little mini away from the stall entrance all together so he is not tempted.
    Hope this helps.
    Anita

5. Rose

Rose New Member

I built the goat feeder so my mini horse can't get her nose in it.

6. mysacrificenubians

mysacrificenubians New Member

Sondra,
    I put six pounds of alfalfa pettets out during the day for the goats and he would eat all of them at once and leave none for the goats. Not good for a mini or the goats! He has his own salt mineral block in his stall. Our last mini had Cushings, but when he first started foundering I thought he had gotten in and ate all the pellets without me knowing.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of it that you could share?

He has squeezed through amazingly small areas. I still couldn't believe it until I saw it for myself.
    Do you have a picture of your set up? The goats just love being around him most of the time. They tend to stay in their side of the shed just to be next to him a lot. I know I feel safer for them when he is out with them. They used to enjoy their together time in the evenings.

We may try a combination of electric and a narrow zigzag type entrance. Can't wait to see how he's going to get stuck in that! ;)

7. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I'd love to send a picture, but we've had to take it all down to get more clay into the stalls. I used one of those electric net fences from Premeir fencing. I got the three foot high goat fence, but for the next one, I'll get a taller one. They are around $120 or so for one hundred feet of fence. They HAVE to be kept electrified though or the goats will go right through them and get all tangled and tear the thing to pieces. I do like the safety of it at night for keeping out preditors. I'm still trying to decide how I want to put it back up, or if I want something more permanant. I like the option of being able to take it down easily for barn maintainance. I will tell you though that our mini is FAT. And he's a little bigger than some of the smaller mini's, which is maybe why our set up worked so well. He can go under just about anything the goats can. Electric zigzag fence? Now that sounds inventive!
    Anita