Need some advice on a doeling that is off.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jennie, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Jennie

Jennie Guest

I have a 5 week doeling that is off. She started this last night. Only drank half of her 20oz bottle. We are doing a cocci prevention right now and have been putting the Di-methox 40 in the bottles. It hasn't been a problem but I wondered if she was a little more sensitive to the taste. Checked her temp last night and it was 103.7 a little high but a pen mate was at 103(she is fine) so figured I would check in the morning and see if she would take her bottle when the meds weren't in it.

This morning she won't eat temp is now 104. Belly is not full or sloshy, she looks like she has missed a meal. I'm going to start with bose and vit b. At that temp prob. an antibiotic but not sure as to what one since I have no idea what is wrong with her. Her breathing sounds good, no runny nose or a cough and everyone else is doing great.

Thanks for the help .

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

is she peeing and pooping normal?

3. Jennie

Jennie Guest

From what I can tell. There was a lot of poop on the thermometer when I checked her. That was the only thing that stuck out in my mind. She is about 17lbs. She was the smallest of quads. Never has been a big eater. Could she be reacting to the Di-methox? That has been the only change lately. That and we have gone from the low 40's to the high 60's in one day.

She does have her tail clamp and her lips pinched so I know that she does not feel well. She is up and moving though.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

if a lot of poop on thermom then I would be inclined to think she is constipated and would give an enema tad of banamine and see. don't know if that is correct or not tho.

5. Jennie

Jennie Guest

Thanks Sondra. I will try that and see what she does.

6. Jennie

Jennie Guest

Well I went out to giver her an enema but she had already exploded all over he rear end. It didn't smell bad, just like wter downed milk poop. I have to run to town for a little bit but when I get back I will check her temp again and will let you know.

7. Jennie

Jennie Guest

Re: Need some advice on a doeling that is off. updated

Well the doeling is acting a little better. I did get her to eat some but her temp is now 104.4.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well then she need banamine and antibiotic I would think. probably pneumonia listen to her chest

9. Jennie

Jennie Guest

That was the first thing I did was hold her up to my ear. She sounds good, no sounds at all. A yes on the banamine and antibiotic though.

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Make sure the antibiotic you use you can use with your sulfa. Sulfa's also treat bacterial scours and bacterial pnemonia.

I would have the fecal material at the vet doing a check so you know what you are dealing with. 5 weeks is really late for cocci prevention to start, even my small quad kids go on cocci prevention and are wormed at exactly 3 weeks. Do you use probiotis, I think it's important to use things like this in little ones as they move from colostrum to milk and then from milk to grain. Vicki

11. Jennie

Jennie Guest

Yes, five weeks is late. We have also only been at our place for two yrs. and the kids are in an area that has never had goats in it before and they have no contact with the adult goats. I know that is no excuse but I am getting it going now. The kids are have all been healthy up to this point and have been growing well. This has just come out of no where. This started on the third day of prevention. All of the other kids are doing great.

How much of a sample does it take? Would be very intersted to see what they would find. Do I need to ask for a specific test or will they know what to look for?

Yes, I do use probiotics and she is getting this now.

Thank you for the advice, I really do appreciate it.

Jennie