need some advice bottle feeding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, May 7, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Well as some of you know I just got to kids on Saturday.
    One is three weeks old (the Nubian)
    The LaMancha is 7 weeks old.
    They were on goat milk when I got them and they sent me home with some goat milk enough for a day or so. Then they said I could use either cows milk or milk replacer. I got the milk replacer because the feed store said it was better for them.
    Well I'm not so sure about that cause they now have the poops so I went to the whole cows milk this morning. I'm hoping this will clear things up. Its not like water, its more like cow plops.
    My question is this-----
    At three feedings a day how much should I give each kid?

Again LaManch doeling 7 weeks. Nubian doeling 3 weeks.

Thanks

*edited by BlissBerry - title spelling

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Re: need some advice bottel feeding

Take them OFF milk replacer. Kids do terrible when fed replacer. Feed them whole cow milk from the grocery store and they will thrive.

Sara

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

THROW the replacer OUT NOW!! get store bought Vit D milk to give to these kids also are you on cocci prevention right now as with move and all you should be. Replacer is known for giving the trots and many kids have died on the crap. I tried this also and got the trots.

4. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Yes I did that but I'm a little unsure on the amounts they should be getting of the cow milk at each feedeing.

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I raise my kids on lambars and feed free choice milk. Perhaps someone who bottle feeds can help you with amounts.

Sara

6. trnubian

trnubian New Member

I would start them off at about 16 oz. of the cows milk 3 times a day and slowly (over a couple days... add more until they are eating as much as they want each feeding. ( I usually say about half a gallon a day per kid but some eat more some less. Leave out free choice good leafy hay (preferably alfalfa- if you can't get alfalfa hay use alfalfa pellets and free choice grass hay or browse) and some grain (try not to use sweet feed if you can). If you can get a grain made for goats that wold be great or you could mix your own. (there are many different ways to do this so if you want to try to mix your own I am sure many people would be willing to share their mixes with you.)

You should also start them on a coccidiastat like sulmet, albon or corrid. Some farm stores carry these and others do not. You can order Sulmet Drinking Water Solution in a pint from Jeffers Livestock Supply for very cheap and it comes quickly. The dose is 1cc per 5 pounds on day one and 1 cc per 10 lb. day 2-5. You need to give it to them orally with a needleless syringe for five days, no less, and repeat every 3 weeks.

You should probably also worm them (unless they have been wormed VERy recently). Depending on where you are located you could use valbazen, safe-guard (still works very well here), cydectin, Ivomec...Just let us know where you are located as some wormers work better in different places.

It sound like you are trying really well with them. Good for you and enjoy them! :)

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

they both should be taking abt 20oz 3 times a day. fix a 20 oz coke bottle and let them drink all they want.

8. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Thanks!
    They seem to be fine, very frisky and playfull just like big old puppies, I haven't seen either one of them squirting this morning. I only gave them a small amount of milk early this morning and I am about to go out with "lunch" in a bit. They do have a grassy alfalfa hay mix that they both like to nibble on. I'll call the feed store about the coccidiastat. They both were wormed and shots before I got them.
    As for what kind of wormer to use in my area--I live in Del Norte County California.
    Thats 20 miles south of the Oregon boarder and right on the coast.
    Thank you all!
    JoAnn.

9. trnubian

trnubian New Member

That's great that they are dong well for you! :)

I am not very familiar with where you live as I am from northern Indiana :p lol If your climate is very warm and wet you would not want to use safe-guard or valbazen really. Cydectin may be better for you or even just the ivomec cattle injectable would work too.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use valbazzen for tape worms in kids unless out on adult pasture then use adult worm cydectin.

11. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

My 7wk olds are getting up to 40oz 3x a day... and my 3wk olds are free choice 3x a day

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Lynn are you saying one kid gets 40oz at a feeding?

13. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

yes..... we are LIMITING ours to 40oz max per feeding... we had some trying for 60oz... and 1 was trying for 80oz

This is a note I sent LA about 2 wks ago...

Darlin.... Is a PIG.

I had told Becca to limit her to 3 bottles per feeding... 20oz bottles! She would drink 4 if you let her... 3x a day!

We just weighed her... she will be 7wks Thu...

37lbs by weight tape
    40lbs by scale

I debated going to 2 feedings... but I think for now... we are just limiting her to her chagrin to 2 bottles 3x a day. shake

She is NOT fat just a BIG gorgeous girl...

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Good grief I must be starving my kids. if I am bottle feeding then get 20 oz a feeding that is it period end of story. Now the lambar I pretty much free feed till their done and then remove it.

15. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

My goat kids just take after my human kids...

16. MBKTown

MBKTown Guest

Weird, mine seems to be weaning herself. She's just SOO into eating everything else in sight that she's not drinking as much milk.

17. Corky

Corky New Member

My bottle baby got scours by letting her drink all she wants.

I am cutting her way back. She was showing signs of entero.

She was just wormed three days ago and is on cocci treatment now as scheduled so I am pretty sure those are not her problem.
    Besides, her poop is brown. Not black like cocci poop.

It is hard to know how much milk she gets as she nurses Mom who I think is nearly dry, and takes a bottle.

Mom is on agressive calcium treatment so her milk supply may be comming back.

I know many of you feed milk free choice.
    Why don't you have this problem then?

18. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I am having trouble with one goat now ftr... but we have done this for 4 yrs with no trouble... so I think something else is at play... but mine are on free choice from birth...