Need lots of advice on this one.......

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by andiplus5, Mar 26, 2008.

1. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Ok, I have an evil goat. She has 1 month old twins. She is turning her twins evil. I do not have any desire to milk this evil thing. She has been traded to someone who won't be here until April 5th or later to pick her up. The lady knows all about her. I don't hold anything back when selling or trading. They can make up their own mind with all the facts. Now, I need to get her away from the rest of the herd. Her doeling is still with me, but is sold. The buckling is ours, we're keeping him. So, what do I do to keep her still in milk? I am going to put her in a stall by herself. The doeling needs to be calmed down because she is as wild as momma. So she will be bottle fed. Do I keep the buckling with the evil mom until she leaves here so she will stay in milk? How hard will it be to calm him down once she's gone? Any advice on her would be helpful. I need to get her out of there today.
    I have another momma goat that is going to have to be sold. She is getting as bad as the first one and hates all my new goats. She also has twins. How do I dry her off the babies without milking her? Do I just take them away from her or do I only put them with her for an hour or two a day? Any advice on her would be great too.
    I just need to know what to do with these two and their babies. Thanks so much!
    Andi

2. Theresa

Theresa New Member

At a month old, that doeling might not take to a bottle but you could try. What about maybe putting the babies in a separate stall and only taking them to the mamma a few times a day to feed? Then they are in a small area and you don't have to try really hard to catch them. Also you could spend some time with them each day to calm them down. But you have to keep milking the doe, either by letting the kids nurse or milking her to keep her milk supply up. At least you only have to deal with her for a little longer.
    Theresa

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If this were my problem I would either do as Theresa has suggested as my second choice or my first would be to put mom and babies in a small stall for the the next few days and go in with them many many times a day until they all were nices. Let them continue to suck off mom and keep in milk but pick up the babies 3 and 4 time a day give mom some sunflower seeds to eat out of my hand each time I went in the pen.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And with temperment so heritable, sure you want a buck producing little evil goats all over your farm? Vicki

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

It sounds like by evil, you mean wild. Dam raised kids who aren't handled much are usually pretty wild. It sounds like your kids are a little old to try this now, but in the future, I do have a solution to wild goats. I start taking the doe to the milk stand the day she kids. If I want tame babies, I pull them at birth. If you milk your doe, she'll think you're her kid and will tame up for you. The babies will think you're their mom and will also be tame. I have never had a doe that I've done this with that didn't get tame for me. Right now, I have two dam raised yearlings that are due to kid in April. Today I caught them, took them to the milk stand and started working with them. I gave each a dairy clip and touched their udders. I also offered them grain They will be brought in every day after they kid. Kathie

6. susie

susie New Member

Yep we have dam raised kids that are as tame as bottle babies-- they came out of sweet friendly does. I do spend alot of time with them, but I think it's more inheritance.

Susie

7. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Actually, the little buck will soon be a wether and will be in the freezer not long after that. He has a lot of boer in him and he is fleshing out nicely. I have tried all the usual things to calm her down. It worked on all the other wild goats I got. I bought them all from the same ppl. The others are fine now. This one is bad and likes to spread the badness like a disease through my does. I have her in a small stall now with her kids. She won't let me touch her, but she is calm when she is in a small stall. The problem is you cannot take her out of there and put her with the rest of the goats. EVER. She goes right back at it when you do and gets the others all stirred up and crazy! My other goats are acting normal now that she is out of there. In a few days they will all be back to their sweet selves with her gone. And she will be good in the pen. Just can't put them together again. --I finally made room for her by doing the barn stall shuffle!--
    Andi

8. VickiLynne

VickiLynne New Member

I have one like this too. Her mother was possesed and was butchered. I thought this one would settle down after freshening (I pulled the twins). She actually tried to stomp the babies. I can't milk her without tying her down and she too will probably be butchered. The babies are loving and very attached to me. We will see.
    I work a full time job don't have time to chase down a goat and fight for milk twice a day.