Need Hoof help

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatmom, Feb 24, 2008.

1. goatmom

goatmom New Member

LaMancha doe-10 days from due date -when I clipped her udder today I found problem with her back hooves -they are warm and swollen. DS and I put her up on the milk stand and washed the hooves good with bleach and water and trimmed what I could considering she is huge and standing on 3 legs-they were not in that bad of shape as far as growth but her hooves are turning, uneven but I didn't see any extreme signs of hoof rot.. just soft and swollen -also some spots that are scabby, grungy in the pastern area-sorry I wish I could give a better description. I knew her pasterns were down some the past couple weeks -same thing happened last year before kidding . I was planning on giving her a bose shot 1 week prior to her due date. btw -the front hooves are fine.

What am I dealing with here and what else can I do for her? Her feet aren't that great to begin with -curse of the LM I guess and she is carrying a huge, wide load right now.and of course we've gone from freezing to yuck and mud and back for weeks now--- she is walking around ok but I just know she must be hurting and of course I'm feeling like a terrible goat mom right now for not catching this sooner. Help!!!!

Thank you in advance- Ginger

2. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Ginger
    I'm in NW AR too, and have a heavy bred doe with the same issue with the skin thing. I thought maybe it was in injection site infection, but now I'm pretty sure its just some kind of infection from laying around on the area so much being so big and less active. The weather sure isnt helping, I cant wait until spring!
    I'd give the BO-Se right away,it boosts immunity and you can give a lot more of it than our usual dose. I plan on giving her another dose tomorrow.
    I cleaned and scrubbed the area off and put sulmet on it (An experiment on my part, too late to get to the feedsore yesterday and no furall at home, will pick up some in Harrison tommorow, so its not recommended, just what I had to work with!) and today it looks much better. I also gave her some PCN just to be careful, since its a large area involved. And since her hooves were also looking a bit grungy, I trimmed and a few spots that were getting bad. I think they'll clean up OK, if not I'll pick up some coppertox.
    A 10% bleach soln is pretty good for disinfecting and cleaning hooves, too. 9 oz water to 1 part bleach, just squirted onto any grungy spots daily until they clear up. Kills about any germ that is in there, and the fungus that might be a culprit too. Rinse off any that might get on skin. Its too strong for soft tissues.
    Have you given any copper lately? I dont believe this area is considered by most to be copper deficiant, but I really am starting to think its a bigger issue here than most folks think.

3. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Laura - I haven't given extra copper -only what they get in their feed/minerals. I do believe we have a copper problem which is now showing in 2 of our LM - this being one of them. After they kid I guess I need to figure the bolus thing out and just do it.

I may have used too much bleach on her hooves today - around 25% to 75 water so hope I didn't make the problem worse. I also squirted hoof n heal on the hoof bottoms.

I do have some blu-kote, never used it before -wonder if this would be helpful on those scabby spots?

4. LMonty

LMonty New Member

I dont think its a bad choice at all Ginger, IIRC its active against staph and strep, isnt it? Should say so on the can, that was going to be my second choice to pick up if I couldnt find Furall.

I doubt the 25% bleach would harm the hoof itself, at least if only used occasionally. I just know from studies that the 10% works really well on most infectious organisms, and the higher percent is just overkill for most infections. (Darn good hard surface sanitizer, too.) So I stick with the 10% for most things near the animals, since its less harmful to tissues if there's a spill, or i accidently get it on skin, etc.

I'd suggest you trim the hair (clippers that were suggested to me worked great, even though it was tough getting thru the scabby stuff right at skin level) and wash with chlorhexidine, betadine or something similar before treating with the BluKote. That will help get off the old scabs and surface dirt/contaminants. Otherwise your spray wont come into contact with all of it.

The bolus thing really isnt anywhere as bad as it seems, once you get it done it will be old hat! First time with anything can be a little intimidating, cant it? I know that for sure! I just disbudded yesterday for the first time by myself.

If you can give oral wormer and other stuff by syringe, you can bolus- its not that much different, and the Saanendoah site has the pics and stuff on how to fill the capsules. It wasnt hard at all to follow. The best advice i can give to anyone starting is to get one of the small ended bolus "guns", the little ones really are helpful for small capsules, its hard to keep the in the ones with the bigger tips. Thats about the only thing I dont think they really emphasize in the website that would make it easier, other wise their directions are great.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

believe Vicki just said on bad hooves she uses 50% bleach and water being down in the pasturns I would also agree you need copper bolus and it won't hurt them now. also BoSe now.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Watch this doe for going down on you. Stops eating her grain.
    Oh, the others are gonna' yell at me...but, I can't stop calling it Ketosis. One of the signs is swelling above the cornet band and a slight lameness in the rear legs. She's within her 10 day window of delivery so your well off there. It when they go down more than 10 days out.
    Kaye

7. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Ok Kaye I won't yell. We had a doe 2 weeks before she was due that her legs swelled up also. It turned out to be ketosis. We struggled for 2 weeks to keep her alive. She still ate but her legs would swell so much she couldn't walk anymore. We would stand her up several times a day and she lived on the glycol. We never knew what it was at first because that was the first year we ever had a goat. Definite learning experience. It could be she slipped in the mud also. It has also been so wet here and we've had a lot come up limping for a few days from sliding in the mud.
    Nancy