Need help with floppy kid ASAP

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by VickiLynne, May 16, 2008.

1. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

I'm at work, husband gave a person my phone number to help with a two day old kid found limp. She said, doe had kid and was doing ok until today when found him limp. Temp is 103. Belly sloshy. She doesn't have anything. Goat is her dad's backyard pet. He just feeds them. I told her I wasn't comfortable leaving the kid until I could get to him at 8-9 pm tonight. So she took him over to a friend of mine's house (who is a wildlife rehabber) where I was kind of trying to treat over the phone. I immediately thought FKS. Friend did the pepto, baking soda, electrolytes, C&D antitoxin, Kyro syrup. He did pee and is not dehydrated. Eyes and gums pink. What is concerning me is that he started having a seizure and has had a 2nd and 3rd one too. They lasted 45 seconds. No hydrocephalis. Something's going on with his CNS but what? CAE? Congential? What am I missing here? Any suggestions? If he lives that long, I'm supposed to pick him up on my way home this evening.

Vicki in NC

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

has he passed the meconium ?? enema??

3. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Sondra,

I don't know if he has passed the meconium. The people don't even know. Sketchy history from her. All she knows is that they found him dry and nursing on Wednesday and he appeared to be nursing until today when they found him limp.

Vicki in NC

4. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Ok, rehab friend says he has alittle orange poop around his butt. So I'm thinking he has passed meconium and has started the transitional orange/yellowish poop.

Vicki in NC

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well all I can think of is give a little banamine and make sure he is pooping or give an enema get milk into this kid one way or another.

6. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Thanks Sondra,

Already has gotten Banamine. Just hope we didn't get to this kid too late. I wish people would educate themselves before just getting goats. The non-goat world still has the idea in their heads that goats are tin can eating garbage disposals and don't need care.

Sorry just venting, URG!

Vicki in NC

7. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Ok, update................He is crying out now more vigorously. But now has the runs. I'm thinking all the stuff we have given him, that he is starting to pass the contents of his belly? The crying is cramping from passing his bowels?

Vicki in NC

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

could be but right now I wouldn't stop the runs let him get what ever out of his system and keep him comfortable and hydrated.

9. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Re: Need help with floppy kid *UPDATE*

I don't have computer at home, so I couldn't tell this till now. The baby boy died Friday evening. He just continued to have periodic seizures. After I got off work and went to my friend's house to see this baby, I knew he wasn't going to make it.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Vicki in NC.

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:down :down :down

Whim

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

AH too bad but some just aren't fully equipted to make it in this world

12. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Sorry to hear that.. :down