Need help with doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Kalne, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

We have a Sanaan/Nubian cross about 6 years old. 3rd freshing Wed. night. This is the girl we thought was in labor a week ago. Kept us guessing for a week. She was acting miserable so Tuesday we gave her lute (Thursday would have been 150 days). 24 hours later she kidded. We totally missed it. Four healthy kids. This was at midnight. It appeared she was passing the placenta but taking a long time. In the a.m. it was still hanging but down to the ground. (hindsight....should have gotten oxy at that point but she was still working at it and seemed open so dd let her go). Last night it had dropped and she was closed. It smelled bad.

She was eating okay yesterday but seemed to stop last night. She is underweight by about 15 lbs. (One of our lighter does and quads just took a lot out of her). She gets free choice alfalfa, 1.5 lbs grain (mostly barley), minerals, etc.

Wormed her with cydectin 24 hours after birth.

Tonight she has a temp of 104.5 and a slightly runny nose.. Given her vit B, probios and started penicillin.

I'm worried she's retained some placenta. Every now and then she seems like she's pushing. Should we lute her again? What else should we be doing? This is our first real post-kidding problem. And of course, she's our best milker.

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I would give her some cmpk . Lute , uterine flush and oxitocin {?}. Full round of antibiotics. Bo-se and banamine.

Patty

3. Kalne

Kalne New Member

That's what I was thinking mostly. But unsure how. Once we lute her how long do we wait. Just check to see if she's open in how many hours? We have oxy. What do I need for the flush....I know someone just posted about this. WIll go look. Was just looking for the info on CMPK. She got bo-se before kidding. Give it to her again?

I'm heading to the feed store before they close to get a fresh bottle of pen. The date on ours is good but it's getting low.