Need help with a broken leg I Think

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Oh the excitment never ends. My friend just called me a bit ago with a 2 month old doeling that she thinks broke it's leg. DH and I went over and put a splint on it. The injury is in the joint just above the front hoof and is swollen. We put the splint from the bottom of the hoof to the knee. I don't know how to tell if it is broken or sprained. What else should have been done? My friend say she can't afford a vet. It would cost too much to get them back into the office.

Wendy, :sigh

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

banamine for pain and swelling and use Kaye dmso linament which is in goat 101

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Next time you get that split off, I would make sure that it's not a puncture wound down there.....check as if she might have stepped on a nail also. Be gentle, and very careful......but try to get a good look at it up between the toes.

Not sure, but a tetanus shot may be in order ......and for sure if it turns out to be a puncture wound of some sort. .....but let some of these other folks tell you to do this first before you do.
    Hope she gets better.

Whim

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If a puncture wound then would need antibiotic and keep open and flushed out.

5. Rose

Rose New Member

With our growing puppy who broke her leg, we put new splints, cotton padding, and vet wrap on it every few days. The vet wanted $75 a visit to do this. :help

You might need to crate the doeling for a couple of weeks to keep her activity controlled.

This is all assuming that it is broken rather than some other injury.

Good luck!

6. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Well my friend was just here with the little doeling and said that she got to talk to a Vet down in Shubie, and he said to use ABS pipe and cotton.I think all she has for meds is penicillin. As I was looking at it again I noticed that the whole hoof is swollen too. I will have a look to see what I can see. Gotta go find a piece of ABS now.

Wendy :crazy

7. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Poor thing. :( Does your friend have any idea how it might have happened?

8. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Well I took the wooden splint off and put on one made with ABS pipe as the vet said to do.He said to keep the splint on for one month, taking it off and redoing it once in awhile. I checked for a puncture wound put I couldn't find one. The poor thing is in a seperate pen with her mother so I'm hoping she gets the rest she needs. I'm really hoping it's just a bad sprain but it is really swelled. As to how it could have happened who knows, the way they all jump and play. It's a sin though because my friends 5 year old daughter just started using her for 4-H. She really liked this doeling.

Wendy

9. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Ugh! That makes it even worse. A 4-H kid without her 4-H Kid. :( Hope the little doeling recovers well and quick.

Kim

10. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Hoping she mends very, very quickly!

Leslie