need help with 2 sick does

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ruby2013, Aug 18, 2013.

1. ruby2013

ruby2013 New Member

ok have two sick does.
    both Nubians 1 1/2 years old. picked then up some new hay, orchard grass clove mix. next morning foaming at mouth, drooling, and little bit bloated. both steering off into space and not eating, standing in corner. what should I do? temp is 100.6. I gave them bloat release, b complex, c and d anti toxin, and a little bit of charcoal. called vet said it was probably bloat and to leave out baking soda. so what do you guys think I should do?

2. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Agreed that you are likely looking at listeriosis, though there could be something else (besides mold) in the hay that is causing a problem, like a particularly bad weed. There is lots of good info on here regarding listeriosis if you do a search.

3. Audrey

Audrey New Member

I have not heard of foaming as a symptom/sign of listeriosis before. Also, per the link posted, it takes weeks to show up, not hours. Plus this gals does don't have a fever, which is alway present with listeriosis. The symptoms don't really match up at all for listeriosis, she doesnt have the blindness or anything like that.

I think they are having frothy bloat. A gal found one of my ads and called me up the other day panicking because one of her goats was frothing at the mouth and she couldn't get a hold of the vet. I told her it sounded like frothy bloat, and told her to force feed baking soda. She agreed and said she had already given a drench of oil, which you can do as well. For sure you need to get the CD&T Antitoxin, not the toxoid! The antitoxin will cancel out the toxoid though, so you will need to booster with the toxoid a few weeks later.

YOu can make a drench out of the baking soda, or a paste and force feed it that way. Then you need to vigorously massage their bellies until they soften up. THey will not eat the soda on their own.

ALso you will need to start LA 200 immediately because when ruminates bloat it presses on the lungs and they often develop pneumonia as they are bloating.

I know this thread is from yesterday, and hope that you were able to pull your does through this. Its not something you can wait on treating.

4. Cannon_farms

Cannon_farms New Member

polio can can come on that fast, similar in symptoms and treatment. an injection of thiamine should give you a hint if they get better soon after the injection.
    sounds like the best advice has been given good luck

anyone know if goats can get the slobbers like horses and cows from certain clovers ?

5. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

I was wondering that about the clover...we have white clover in our paddock where our goats are and our horse used to be...the clover would definitely make the horse slobbery but either the goats didn't eat it or it didn't affect them.

6. ruby2013

ruby2013 New Member

THANK you everyone they are doing much better , it was bloat and the bad clover

7. ruby2013

ruby2013 New Member

WHAT is the dosage on the La 200
    I am also giving b complex 2x a day and pro bios
    Hope both will be eating by the end of the day

8. tlcnubians

tlcnubians New Member

4.5 ccs per 100 lbs. Repeat in 72 hours.