need help getting a bit of weight on goat

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by sunnygrl_ks, Jun 5, 2008.

1. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

this goat came from an auction and he just isn't gaining any weight. He's tall, as I am 5' 7, but only weighs 200#, he's just too skinny for my taste... he's on free grain and hay and out in the pasture browsing. Is current on his worming, boluses, and vaccinations.
    ( please ignore the trash in the background... its waiting for metal pickup)
    [​IMG]

thanks everyone...

2. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Is he getting any alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets? BOSS is a good source of fat.
    (BOSS = Black Oil Sunflower Seeds)

3. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

oops... i didn't list the boss..... ( does anyone else have problems getting their goats to eat this... i take away their feed and try to get them to eat it, but they just don't like it, I thought that it would be something they would just gobble up)

... i don't do the alfalfa( i thought it was bad for male goats?)

4. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Grain is bad for bucks when they are not in breeding season. ALL goats need the alfalfa. I personally mix my BOSS with their a. pellets. They eat it up like candy.

Since you are trying to put some weight on your buck is grain now a bad thing? I do not know... PM Vicki, Kaye or Sondra or wait for a clear answer. (From someone that knows.)

5. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

You might try putting him on a good meat goat developer that contains ammonium chloride to prevent urinary calculi.

Christy

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yep can guarantee you that if you don't get ammonium chloride into this grain diet of his he is going to die from urinary calculi. I also would find a meat goat pellet to feed him. They contain ammonium chloride in them and contain all the grain you want to feed a buck.

He is in adequate flesh and why do you want an intact buck to weigh so much? It's one thing when they are grown out to show and appraise, but around the farm? I want my guys lean mean semen tanks. Fat bucks also don't do their job with as much gusto as the leaner guys do.

You should never buy a new animal and then change his diet so suddenly that he is eating foreign food like grain. Take it slowly, you also can founder him. Vicki

7. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

thats another thing i guess i forgot... he's a wether not a buck... the only reason we have him is my husband saw how big he was and couldn't stand not to have him... :nooo... so he has joined our herd of wethers at the tree top trimmer.

vicki... ( he is adequate in flesh..) do you really think so?.. he just seems so bony at the hips... and belly area.... ( maybe its just me looking down the length of him from the head that makes me feel he is so bony) maybe he isn't as bad as i thought... i keep thinking people will look at him and say..." why doesn't she feed this goat?"

.... we have had him since the fall( so he's not new exactly)... that is when that pic was taken... so i've been trying to fatten him up since.... but maybe i'll lay off all the "extra" stuff :)

I feed a medicated goat feed, I will look on the label for the ammonium chloride, there are so few choices of feed here, its pathetic. They won't eat feed that has crimped corn in it, ( which is what MOST of the feeds have here) they will only eat straight pellets.

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

NO,NO,NO....he should be given twice a day feedings, if you HAVE to feed him grain. And it better contain AC. Follow Vicki's advice! Meat goat pellets.

I'd also worm this goat with Cydectin or Ivomec every 10 days for 3 treatments. I don't know what wormer your using and it's kind of hard for us to give you an opinion of the animal with a picture that is that old.
    Kaye

9. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

i worm with ivomec... 1 cc per 34#, they were just wormed on the 10th, but i was planning on reworming this week as my cousin just gave me a couple of new goats earlier this week.

using the ivomec...( for the every 10 days 3 treatments)... i am using the same dosage right?

... and the picture might as well have been taken yesterday, as he looks the same, i just stated that it was an old picture in reference to the mention of don't introduce new foods to a new animal...

( will stop the free feeding though)

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yes, same dose every 10 days for 3 treatments.

A good mineral available at all times. I know we (mods & members) stress this quite often and it seems so trivial...but, it is essential in management. It can help towards warding off major health problems and is so easy. Weight gain is not an overnight fix...it can take several wks. to months to get the body back into condition. You just suddenly look at the animal and are amazed at the difference.
    Kaye

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Bet you that plain ivormec is not working have you done fecals??
    Personally I would be feeding this guy alfalfa pellets and no grain but that is me. I only grain bucks when in rutt and a month or so afterwards. Wethers and non working bucks get no grain/meat goat pellets etc. The problem with UC is that people feeding grain don't feed amonium cloride and also don't watch the balance of calcium to phos. thus UC>
    Alfalfa alone does not cause UC grain is the culprit.

12. NubianSoaps.com

He's a dairy buck. Like a Jersey or Holestien, they have bones along their back and hips. Angus don't. If you want him to be round and big than at least use the meat goat pellets, but honestly a wether needs nothing more than browse and grass hay during the winter. IF you have severe winters some grain for energy.

I don't get men and their idea of keeping an animal that will eat more than anything on the place, yet not give you kids to sell or milk to drink...and you know he will never butcher him for sausage :) Because he is big? I have does that big :) vicki

13. NubianSoaps.com

Oh and your blue plastic barrells in the back ground? As long as they didn't carry something toxic in them :) cut them in half they make excellent waterers! vicki

14. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Those are also the barrels that we use for kid warmers in the winter. I saw those and went green. :biggrin

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I thought that too Jo

16. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

i think they had vanilla flavoring in them at one time ... they used to smell good... :)

17. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Yea, that's exactly what my waterer is.

18. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:laughcry You're going to find out...we USE what's available and get way outside the box sometimes. I'd be digging those things outa' that pile! Mineral feeders, water troughs, hay feeders, kid houses, oh man, on and on!

Most of us consider a shopping trip...the feed store or farm store!! To heck with Dillard's or Sears! :rofl
    Kaye

19. LMonty

LMonty New Member

I like beet pulp when I'm trying to keep weight on a doe. I cant think of any reason why it would predispose to UC, but I'm not sure. Anyone know if it would be a good addition to buck pellets if one was trying to add weight after rut or other issues?
    Adult and weaned goats here are getting so fat on pasture/browse and just a little alfalfa pellets I'm getting concerned about taking weight off. I guess rut will do that, eh?

20. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Beet pulp is loaded with calcium. Adding this to a buck would throw the CA/PH ratio out of whack thus causing UC.
    Yep, rut will certainly take the weight off...in a hurry! Testosterone ridden brutes even forget to eat! ;)
    Kaye