Need help bloody milk!!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravens Haven, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

HI all

My 9-year-old doe that kidded on Sunday has bloody milk tonite. She has been fine up until this point and she is still acting fine, eat all her grain, hay, drinking, I have been giving her penicillin since she kidded due to one of the kids being dead and having to retrieve it slightly, nothing major but the fluids were nasty. I did notice today that she squated to pee but nothing came out, curious. She has no fever, she freshened with a HUGE udder this year, lots of swelling, kind of tissuey, no heat to speak of. What can I do? I know I can't send of a sample due to giving her antibiotics so what now?
    Thanks for any help,
    Autumn

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

bet it is just the increase in milk and breaking of little capularies which happens quite often with heavy milkers. Don't worry it will clear up on itself in 2 or 3 days usually.

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I feel a little better..I even poored all her milk out b/c I was afraid to feed it to babies. When I filtered her milk there was little pieces of blood in it. I just worry about her.

Thanks..

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

It is ok to feed to babies if you leave it sit the bloody will turn rather browish at the bottom of the container just don't use that bottle part is what I do.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well better clarify a bit I don't use it for people just for goat kids.

6. Truly

Truly New Member

Yep, normal for a HUGE udder.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

The HUGE udder is the give away...she's producing more milk than the udder can hold. Ditto, Sondra.
    Kaye

8. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I asked this same question here when my doe freshened and i was freaking out - everybody said it was ok, and that it just happens sometimes - they were right, it cleared up in a few days :+)

9. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Yep all is well,

10. Janelle

Janelle New Member

One of my does is doing that this year. Her udder isn't HUGE, by most standards, but double what it was last year, so I guess it is huge for her :)