Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all

My 9-year-old doe that kidded on Sunday has bloody milk tonite. She has been fine up until this point and she is still acting fine, eat all her grain, hay, drinking, I have been giving her penicillin since she kidded due to one of the kids being dead and having to retrieve it slightly, nothing major but the fluids were nasty. I did notice today that she squated to pee but nothing came out, curious. She has no fever, she freshened with a HUGE udder this year, lots of swelling, kind of tissuey, no heat to speak of. What can I do? I know I can't send of a sample due to giving her antibiotics so what now?
Thanks for any help,
Autumn

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
bet it is just the increase in milk and breaking of little capularies which happens quite often with heavy milkers. Don't worry it will clear up on itself in 2 or 3 days usually.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel a little better..I even poored all her milk out b/c I was afraid to feed it to babies. When I filtered her milk there was little pieces of blood in it. I just worry about her.

Thanks..

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
It is ok to feed to babies if you leave it sit the bloody will turn rather browish at the bottom of the container just don't use that bottle part is what I do.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yep, normal for a HUGE udder.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
She has no fever, she freshened with a HUGE udder this year, lots of swelling, kind of tissuey, no heat to speak of.
The HUGE udder is the give away...she's producing more milk than the udder can hold. Ditto, Sondra.
Kaye

·
Registered
343 Posts
I asked this same question here when my doe freshened and i was freaking out - everybody said it was ok, and that it just happens sometimes - they were right, it cleared up in a few days :+)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Yep all is well,

·
Registered
62 Posts
One of my does is doing that this year. Her udder isn't HUGE, by most standards, but double what it was last year, so I guess it is huge for her :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts