need help/advice on how to dry this doe up please :+)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Sep 8, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I just got a 7 yr old reg. french alpine doe. She is a BIG girl, and quite the milker - peaking 16lbs every year. She freshened in March, not long ago she then went down to 13-14lbs, and then they moved her to one a day milking for me before i got her - so i am milking her once a day and am getting 3/4 gal from her still. I really want to dry her up and be done milking for the year, get everybody bred ( i want to breed her this month ), and then start milking again next spring.

I am new to drying up does. I've only dried one up so far - a FF. Now i have this gal, and really worry about her udder health and feel like i'm going to mess something up. She is starting to show her age and is starting to sag ;) She has been a good show doe and producer of wonderful show alpines, but now her rear attachment is showing some stress/age, and i would like not to make it worse if possible. She is getting alfalfa pellets, grass hay, minerals and a custom grain mix on the milkstand.

So where do i start ? Can somebody help put an action plan together for me and also let me know what to watch for ? Thanks !

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

First off for udder health you don't start milking a doe like this once a day. But with that being said and since it is already done will go to the next issue. Most milk thier does 305 days in other words you would continue milking her until 100 days into her gestation and then dry her up.
    Now for your actually question, you take her off grain put her out to pasture and don't milk her again on the stand. When she is to full then relieve her out in the pasture onto the ground (clip her to the fence) but just relieve the pressure.

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Her udder is HUGE - the biggest i've ever had to milk - i imagine this is what those 16lb milkers need to hold milk like that though ? But anyways, about the milking her once a day - why should this not be done for her ? I'm not sure how it went getting her to once a day as i didn't do it, but when i milk her her udder is not hard or stressed by being too full - there is surely more room in there even with 3/4 gal. still in there ! LOL - she is a whole new ball game for me :+)

So i would want to quit cold turkey then ? When will i know when i need to relive her ? and how much ? Just a couple squirts ? No grain, just hay, browse and alfalfa pellets ?

So i take it just milking less out at each milking ( not empty ) will not work then ? I was hopeing it would and thats what i would have been told to do lol ! I'm very nervious about seeing a big full udder on this girl.

Anything i should watch for ?

Is it ok to dry her up before the 305 day mark ? will it have any neg. affects ?

Thanks again !

4. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Yes, you stop grain and don't take her to the milk stand anymore. By not milking her this signals her body to stop making milk. If you continue to grain her and take her to the milkstand, she will continue to make milk. Then you watch the udder. It will get full to some degree, but you don't want her to be uncomfortable and don't want her to leak. So if you see that then you just releave some of the milk by clipping her to the fence and releaving the pressure but don't milk her all the way out. Soon she will stop making milk and began to dry up.

Hopefully some others will give you more advise. I am not sure that you want to just stop milking when she is still producing 3/4 gallon daily. Also what Sondra was saying about the once a day milking, since this doe produces so much milk you have to be sure that her udder is not overfilled at any given time. Otherwise you will ruin her udder. So you move to once a day milking when her production begans to decrease, not when she is producing 16lbs. (not saying that you did this since she was alreadying being milked once daily when you got her. Just info for the future.)
    Theresa

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I have high producing Alpines. I go down to milking once a day, once every other day, then every few days, then a week and gradually do it this way. This keeps you from blowing teats on these girls. If her udder fills too much and you fear stressing her attachments too much, then milk her out about half way. With the inconsistent milking she will stop producing as much milk. However, mine never and I mean never have they stopped producing milk and dried up flat until they were bred a couple of months. and then a couple of them never did dry up all the way. Once I got them to a certain point then I just quit milking, squirted mastitis med in each teat and left them alone until they kidded. You'll know when you can leave them alone. With high producers and trying to dry them up early it is hard to do and takes a while.

6. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thank you all so much for the info :+)

Christine - i'm going to try your way, it sounds like something i'd be more comfortable with until i get used to this more :+) What do you put in the udder and when/how ? Thanks !

7. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Cut out all grain and alfalfa even if you are quitting slowly like Christine mentioned.
    Heavy producers like this NEED to be milked. Milk up to 100 days bred, cutting back their grain to almost nothing for a week or so while you dry them off. With being heavy bred and cutting back grain they are easier to dry off.
    If you know you'd rather only milk 6-7 months out of the year as a long term plan, you'll be happier with moderate production. These heavy producers metabolism, genetics, and personalities are all about lactating. Walking around dry for them is like trying to play ball in a formal dress. :lol

8. Cotton Eyed Does

I squirt a whole tube of Tomorrow into each half of the udder on these heavy producers after I milk them out for the last time. A few weeks down the road from when you start to dry them off. Once you feel comfortable with the amount of milk you have gotten them down to. I milk them out completely, infuse the udder with the Tomorrow, dip and let them go and then don't milk any more. They will fill back up with some milk, but by this time they should not be uddered up tight, just some milk in there. But just leave it alone and after they are bred and a couple months pass their body will absorb it or most of it. And yes, cut way back on the grain and by the time you have milked the last time they should be getting no grain and only maintenance alfalfa pellets and hay. After you go to milking about every 3-4 days start only milking the udder out half way and see how it does instead of milking it out all the way. Think of how a doe weans a kid. She doesn't just say o.k. kid you aren't getting any more milk. She starts decreasing the amount they drink gradually by letting the kid nurse shorter and shorter periods of time. This has worked well for my girls. I always dry my girls up early so I can have a couple fall months to run the roads with my best friend and go antiquing and spend weekends with her making soap. We are going up there this Saturday and will make soap all night probably. That is if Hurricane Ike doesn't decide to ruin our plans.

9. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thank you Christine, this is what i will do then :+) Is the tomorrow a must ? Is it hard to get in there ?

I do plan on milking longer next year, this year though i have other things that make me have to dry her up soon.

10. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I would not skip dry-treating for anything, especially on this type of doe. It is not hard to do, I usually do it by myself on the milkstand. The only cases of mastitis I've ever had were when drying up a doe...and it can ruin their udders.

11. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, i will do it then, i prefer to be safe then sorry - all does, or ones like her that are heavy producers ? I take it i'm going to stick it up the teat ? Does this hurt them ? I also think i've read since its made for cows, only stick the tip 1/2 way ? Do i lube it with anything ? Thanks, and sorry for the silly questions :+)

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

make sure you are very clean wipe the tip and teat with alcohol and gently push just a ways into the teat maybe 1/4 in.

13. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Use the partial insertion method when infusing.

Don't remove the entire red cap. There is a place on the cap that only allows you to remove a small section of the end of the cap. That's all you need to do... don't insert it any further.

Sterile techniques of course (clean the teat end well with alcohol) and massage the teat to get the meds up into the udder after infusing. Teat dip when completed.

We dry treat all of our does.

Sara

14. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks for explaining it to me, i feel confident i can do this - or i'll ask questions when i time comes if it's not working for me lol. Thanks again !

15. Cotton Eyed Does

Yep, that's the way I infuse my udders also. I would infuse all the heavy producers.