Need clarification please...(registering grade stock)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, May 2, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Here is the following fantasy breeding...for visual reference for my question.

100% ALPINE Doe Unregistered Nigerian Type Buck

50% Alpine buckling ........................bred to 100% alpine doe

Offspring (doelings)

I know the 50% Alpine buckling can not be registered because his sire was dwarf, but if he was bred to a 100% alpine doe, can their doe offspring be registered grade if they meet breed standards? And if so, what percentage would they be?

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Even if the ND was back in the bloodlines far enough? :( And the kid is mostly Alpine? Can the offspring down down down the generations never be registered because this one buck decided to get .....well you know...?

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

NO! No way. No how. Absolutely not! :)

Sara

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I was afraid you'd say that. :( Well, I guess I will band him into wetherhood then. :sigh Thanks.

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

You never want to use a mixed buk anyways. Why bother playing when you have so many good ones to play with. Now if it was a doeling you could breed up but not a buckling.

Pattyl

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

No she can't... not if the kid has ANY ND blood!

Sara

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I had someone ask if I will be selling "pet" goats and the tentative idea worked through my mind for a few hours of using my mixed buckling for that. It was only at the "interesting idea" stage and I figured to go on or to stop in that thinking I would ask the question above. Thanks. I think this will be better anyhow as having TWO bucks for only three does (so far) is just way too much. I will use him as a buck companion instead as was my origional plan.

Thanks for answering my question. :)

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Also Kim if your like me you don't sell goats for pets then usually don't end up with a good life.

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I did not plan on selling any 'pets' but got to just wondering because of what someone asked me if I couldn't have "pets" or grade animals. I would want the offspring registered for sure, so will not be going that route, due to the fact that the buckling (soon-to-be wether) has dwarf in his lineage. I did not know that absolutely no one in his future lineage would be able to get registered. That is sad. Except for a slightly thicker neck, he looks great in confirmation. Just exploring all the possibilities. It was a passing thought really, but I had to ask. :)

I would HATE to think of any of my goats going to a bad home, grade, pet or otherwise.

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Unless you want to breed unregistered mini Alpines, I'd wether this buckling. He doesn't necessarily need to go into the freezer if you know of someone with a good pet home for him. With all other dairy breeds, does can be registered NOA. With the Nigerians, however, even does can't be registered that way because of the concern they may have Pygmy blood. I have used unregistered mixed breed full size dairy bucklings on a couple of my does and got one doeling, which I have registered as an experimental. The only reason I did that was because of the outstanding bloodlines in these guys, and they were sent to market after they were used. I don't hang onto grade bucks. Kathie

11. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

My little buckling, soon-to-be wether will stay on the farm and be used as a companion to our up coming herd sire who is only 8 weeks old himself right now. That was the origional plan and I think I will stick with it. :)

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I am not a fan of wethers as companions, first they are always being bred by the bucks but also it takes as much to feed out and care for a wether as another buck to keep the buck company. With the economy the way it is, everyone needs to be breeding what sells, what they can use the milk and meat out of or soon they will be out of goats. Forever homes for real pets is hard enough without livestock becoming pets also. Vicki

13. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Well as of 4pm today, Chewbacca became a wether. He has a dual purpose here. He will be our buck companion and he will be our pet as well. We love him. This is his forever home. :)