Need clarification about feeding pregnant doe while drying off

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by NWgoats, Jan 9, 2009.

1. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

I have read and re-read the info in GK 101. Says to stop milking at 100 days bred and stop feeding on the milk stand. But, also says at 100 days you need to offer a bit of grain and gradually work the doe up to what she will eat on the milkstand.
    Now, if I am feeding her grain on while milking already, do I just cut back on the amount she gets? Say she is getting 1 lb. a day and I stop milking. Does that mean the next day she only gets a handful and work back up from there? I am guessing that if she continued to get the 1 lb. a day right up until kidding that could cause problems?
    She is due in mid April, has been in milk since Feb. and still milks 1/2 gal. a day. I still milk her twice a day and she gets a little over 1 lb. total for the day split into the two feedings. I would guesstimate her to be a 4 on the condition scale right now. This is my first year milking, so I don't know how to dry her off before kidding.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I dried up early this year so my girls are getting no grain, today they start on their little handfuls.

So yes, no more trips to the milkstand for your does, and cut her grain down to just a handful so you can slowly start building her back up to what she will get on the milkstand when just fresh. Everything else stays the same essepcially her hay and calcium source.

If I give my goats alot of grain when only 100 days bred, unless they are still milking, than they will freshen fat. Fatter than the little big of flesh I want them to have so they can milk it off. Vicki

3. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

Thank you, that is what I was needing. This doe is a VERY easy keeper and even when she was milking over a gallon a day was only getting about 1 or so lb. of grain. But she does love those alfalfa pellets.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Once you get through with this year, you will know better for next year. Note how she looks 8 weeks fresh, will tell you how to treat her grainwise come next dry period. Easy keepers need very short dry periods, they get fat on even air. Vicki