Need alfalfa info

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by whimmididdle, Jan 8, 2008.

1. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I'm looking to see if anybody has a link that would give better info on alfalfa. I'm looking for a vitamin/mineral breakdown.........I realize the quality/values can vary depending on where it's grown, but I would like to have more info other than protein, fat, and fiber contents. Oh yea...I'm talking about A.pellets for the most part.

Thanks for replies.....Whim.

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Thanks Sondra.....gosh, it's got a lot of stuff in it.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Now why do you think we say alfalfa is a good food?? :)

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Whim, a nutritonist was talking at our club meeting, he runs a big cooperative grain company in a town west of me. After telling us about this and that and charts etc...he then said abou alflafa. "You can't really chart alfalfa, there is a secret ingredient in it that grows kids bigger, and makes dairy animals milk more than the measured ingredients in it". Ric and I just smiled at each other, since our feeding program is not on the list of coop accepted ones :) Vicki

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

This I know...When I feed my goats free choice pellets and local hay:

They eat less all around and I think I actually SAVE $$$ cause they ate and/or wasted so much hay!
    They produce more milk.
    They are more content than ever.

Even just a couple days without pellets and I see a significant drop in milk - and we get AWESOME local and feed whole oats as well, but the alfalfa just makes the biggest difference in the world - we used to feed alfalfa hay and our production still was not as good. I thank vicki for giving me the sage advise of feeding free choice pellets.

Bethany