Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doe kidded Sunday with big triplets, she got one placenta out Sunday and then the other took a while coming yesterday. This morning she has a little bit of placenta sticking about an inch out of her. I gave oxytocin 3 times over the course of yesterday and Sunday to help her expel the other ones. She is on penicillin because the kidding was difficult. Any advice? Should I give more oxytocin and/or lute? Call a vet? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I had a doe deliver triplets premature this year, and her placenta was slow in coming. I don't have oxy or lute, and don't know how to use those - so no help there. I did some research and found that if pieces are left behind after the cervix closes, that they will reabsorb. My doe did need a full round of penicillin as she ran a fever. Maybe others can comment, but I found that reassuring that they can reabsorb things left behind.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi, MG! Congrats on the triplets and it's great to see you here!

Personally, I would do an oxytet flush (instructions are on here somewhere), being extremely careful about clean technique, of course. If the piece is sticking partly out, I might try *very carefully* to pull it, but I can't say for sure w/o being there to see it. As Angie said, if the pieces are small, they will more than likely reabsorb, but with a piece half-out, infection would seem to be more likely, since the little buggies can crawl right in. You're already working systemically with the penicillin, and hopefully a flush (or 2 or 3) can help clean out anything that might be setting in. Sounds like she's already had plenty of oxytocin, so I'd try to not do that to her again if I could avoid it, and my understanding is that lute won't do much of anything once the corpus luteum is broken down.

Other than that, just keep a seriously close eye on her: temp, appetite, milk, etc. A uterine infection will often show itself in the milk bucket: all of a sudden, often after 2-3 days of increasing milk supply, there's virtually no milk but no signs of mastitis being the cause. Prevention is best, of course, which you're doing, but I'd be ready with fortified B-complex, Bo-Se, Banamine, and stronger antibiotics (I usually use Excenel) in case she starts to show signs of being actually sick. Thankfully, we rarely have sick goats, but I've found that 4-point regimen to work wonders for most run-of-the-mill things, both for our herd and others we've mentored, usually straightening things out within about 3 days. For reference, the fortified B-complex is to prevent polio from setting in while the rumen is upset when a goat doesn't want to eat, the Bo-Se boosts immunity to help everything else work better, the Banamine helps with the fever and inflammation and usually gets her back to eating sooner, and the antibiotics tackle the root infection.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Michelle! Hope you are doing well!!

Thanks to both of you for the ideas. She's been getting b-complex and probiotics too (I forgot to mention!) and had a Bo-Se shot 10 days ago. I really appreciate your advice. This really perplexed me--we've had does that retained placenta before but never just an inch sticking out....I will keep a close eye on her for sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts