Need advice on abscess on kids leg

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jennie, May 4, 2008.

1. Jennie

Jennie Guest

I have a 2 month old boer kids that we have been watching a bump on the inside of hie right front leg. It's just above the dew claw on the inside. I have been watching it for about the last week. He would limp on it occasionally but no heat, but is very sensitive to touch. Well today when I felt it it was getting a very soft spot in one area. It is about the size of a large cherry tomato. I decided to stick a large needle in it to see if it would drain and relieve some pressure. As soon as the needle touched it the puss started coming out. I can't believe how much was in there. It is still very painful to the touch.

So the question now is what do I do with it.Due to the large amount of puss I was wondering if an antibiotic should be used. I did not see anything when I shaved it that would say something had been poked in there such as a sliver. I know something should be done as I did not get all the puss out and it was still large.

Thanks for the help.

2. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Since this is probably an abscess caused from a puncture of some kind, just get as much puss out as you can, use a hose end sprayer and irrigate it - you will be able to flush out more puss that you can't express out. Let the water drain, use paper towels and get it as dry as possible, then load it with 7% Iodine. If the kid isn't running a temp, then antibiotics probably won't be necessary. Should it fill up again, open it back up and repeat the cleaning process.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:yeahthat Just what I was thinking.. just make sure that you do this with the utmost thought against contamination.. always better to be safe than sorry! :D

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Fever or not...this type of injury needs to be on antibiotics. Penn-G being just the med. for something like this! 6.6cc/100#. Or you can take your chances that the thing doesn't seal back up and abcess again!

I'd use a chlorhexidine dilute-ONE TIME- to flush it out, make the hole big enough to drain, and start the Penn-G for no less than 5 days. Watch it carefully that it doesn't seal over for a few days.
    Kaye