Need advice About Valbazen

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Hi. I need some advice about Valbazen. My friend just got some to give all of her goats. The does are all pregnant and will be starting to kid in about 18 days. The vet has given her valbazen to worm all of her goats, does and bucks at 1 cc per 100 lbs. he said you only have to give this once. Is this ok for the pregnant ones and is it true that it will get rid of everything in just one dose?

Wendy

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I have heard that it will abort does but I don't know that to be true by personal experience, maybe Vicki or Kaye will answer. But I wouldn't until someone knowledgeable says something.

Autumn

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Valbazen supposedly is ok after 45 days into gestation but NO it won't get all worms this is why we use Cydectin with a follow up of ivormec plus and use valbazen on babies for tapes
    Or as I have always done in the past I used cydectin with Valbazen as a follow up . for lung and tapes

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Why is she wanting to worm them this close to kidding?? Unless they are in dire need of worming, I would wait and worm them the day they kid out. Valbazen will most likely only get the tapeworms(and the dosage for tapes is I believe 1 cc per 10 lbs of Valbazen), so she will need to use Cydectin to get the blood sucking worms.

5. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

The reason my friend is worming them all is because her buck has white eyelids and is not so good. The valbazen is what the vet gave her to do all of her goats and told her it is safe for pregnant does. The does are at various stages of pregnantcy. The vet said one dose was all that was needed. I'm worried for her goats. Should I be?

Wendy

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well hope she uses something else for that buck because it isn't going to help much. Also now just noticed your in CA so maybe Valbazzen works better there that here in the states pm Kaye or Vicki for advice on this. Best of all would be for your friend to join the forum here and get advice.

7. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

I know my friend has Ivermec Pour-on. Do you give this orally? We cannot get Ivermec Plus in Nova Scotia but I believe we can get Ivermec Injectable at a very high cost for a little bottle.She does belong to this fourm as far as I know. She just doesn't post.

Wendy

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

White eyelids in an animal this time of year is of huge concern. This means that he has adult bloodsucking spring/summer worms overwintering in him sucking his blood...they should be asleep (arrested) waiting for the spring fall and fresh grass.

If Valbazen is useful in your area the dosage is 1cc per 10 pounds given orally. It is also a wonderful wormer for tapes, lungworms and liverflukes. Use it now and then when the does kid get another wormer...Ivermectin 1% injectable is fine, 1cc per 50 pounds but give it orally. The Ivermectin Pouron's like we use Cydectin pouron is used at the dosage for cattle on the bottle, except you give it orally instead of pouring it on. Redo the buck also. In fact if he is in this sad of shape you might want to do the whole herd a 3rd time 10 days later. Then run a fecal in 7 days later to the vet so you can see if this is working.

Relying on the purchase of your drugs or advice on what wormers (and other really basic herd management) from vets is a waste of money. Certainly you have farm catalogs you can order from in Canada.

Are there any Canadian goat clubs on groupsyahoo.com that you can join and glean info on? Vicki

9. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Hi all. My friend is afraid that the Ivermec will burn the goats throat so that they won't be able to eat. The Valbazen that she got is a pour-on to, do you guys give that orally too?

Wendy

10. LMonty

LMonty New Member

The ivermec doesnt burn goats throats. I do it and never had that problem, doesnt bother them in the least. Heres one way to think about it -the injectable is made to go under the skin, and if it was harsh enough to burn throats, you couldnt use it subq, right? I understand her concern if she hasnt done it, but its really not a problem.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Well...if that's true...then there's several thousand goats and another thousand or so, horses with burned throats. It don't happen. We worm our horses with the injectable ivomectin- orally and have so for about 10 yrs. Not one of the dang nags has ever turned down a meal. Darn it! Hhhhmmm...wonder why they make a Ivomectin paste for horses???? ;)

I don't use Valbazen in the first 60 days...other than that and they get tapes...it's Valbazen. I don't believe she's going to get the kill needed by using Valbazen. If I had a goat with pale eyelids, I'd be draggin out the Cydectin or Ivomec. They'd also get either every 10 days for 3 treatments.
    Kaye

12. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

I would like to thank everyone for their responses to my question. Even if my friend doesn't follow the advice given I am sure that I will use the information myself.

Wendy

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The Valbazen that she got is a pour-on to...

Are you sure that her Valbazen is a pour-on. I haven't seen that yet, here it is an oral solution.

All wormers and drugs should be used with caution during the implantation period of pregnancy, by 50 days the caution is over. Don't use Valbazen or Ivermectin Plus on your goats if liver flukes aren't a consideration in your area, if they are you have to choose between one of them to use. I won't let this Valbazen issue continue on this forum...the list of wormers you need to include with this type of statement is long, including ingredents in herbal wormers. Worms will cause more does to abort and die than any wormer will. Vicki