Neck Tags- DHIR

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Aja-Sammati, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

What do those of you on test use for ID? I have been using the metal rings from Jeffers to attach my tags to my collars, but I wondered what else people are using. The rings are soooo big!

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Oh, my! I've used a multitude of things...they all last about the same.
    Keyrings from hobby shop, chain links that screw open/closed, zip ties, S-hooks, run their chain collars through the holes in expensive tags, and even hay string in an emergency. :lol

I generally go with the chain links because I also use them to fasten the chain dog collars together. Yeah, I gotta' break down and buy some plastic chain collars, just haven't done it, yet. Procrastinating. Babies still don't have collars back on after two tried to commit suicide. :sigh
    Kaye

3. I use just light weight metal chain with the tags hanging on them. Dont use the rings just get a chain small enough to fit though the hole. Then use the connection links that you can buy.

Kaye I have used the plastic chains. To me they are fine for quick ID purposes but you can not use them to hang on to the goat. MANY times I have grabbed the chain and held on...then had the chain in my hand with the goat still running. To me the plastic is just a waste.

I know guys with his cows, he just uses braided plastic twine on his cows. Them seem to last for a good while. Also a way to use that blooming stuff.

Ken in MI

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol yeah, that's what I keep thinking...out the money on the plastic, then I end up breaking it and getting pissed off cause the dang goat is now loose! :mad
    Ok, scratch the plastic chain idea...unless you have a MUCH milder temper than I do. ;)
    Kaye

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I agree with Ken... I hate plastic collars. They always break when you most need them!

I use nylon dog collars that are adjustable. They look so nice in matching herd colors. :D I even have special fancy collars that they wear only at Nationals and Minnesota State Fair.

And before anyone asks... YES they do break if necessary so I don't worry about them getting caught on something.

I use the metal rings for the name tags. The tags would fit on the collar but they don't hang properly so you can read the name, hence the reason I use the metal rings. The rings aren't too big... we have big goats so perhaps that's why I don't find them to be too large.

Sara

6. Just thought of something that I have not seen goat people use that is VERY common in dairy cattle. Its the neck cords...there is about 10 colors you can get. They are just a braided cord that has a metal connector, that way if they are pulled on they will let go. But, you can grab on to them and pull to the side and they will not pull apart...just pulling to the front or back is when they slip. Anyone ever seen those in use?

Ken in MI

7. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

I use plastic collars- I usually don't have them break on adult does- just babies- though that is annoying enough. I am so afraid of nylon collars, I am putting the girls out in heavy brush this year- I am not even sure I want the plastic collars on them. The rings don't look too big on the goats, just on the collars before they are on the goats :D

Lots of great input!

8. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Ken I used the cord once upon a time. I didn't like the weight of that connecting piece, looked kind of weird on the goat. I have used nylon collars-don't like the way they look. Regular small chain would be my first choice but I'm always worried if it was caught that it wouldn't break away. I'm thinking about trying it with a zip tie for safety. I do use the plastic chains-the big links-and have not had one break yet-the smaller links-yes. I like the plastic chain if I can match the color of the goat-black usually looks okay. We are all so picky-aren't we!

9. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

If your on test, do they have to wear ID?

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Yes, they must have a visable ID. I use personalized name tags from Nasco.

Sara

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yeah Ken, in dairy goats you are going to have the ugliness factor. Even if it has some fancy type of braiding, none of my girls are wearing hay twine :) Vicki

12. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Ken, I use the cords on my kids up until they are yearlings. One cord will make two collars. I have a set of the numbers that go on them, easy to identify from a a distance. The metal connector is a little heavy, but the kids don't seem to mind. The yearlings then get adjustable nylon collars with plastic connectors, so they come apart if stressed. The cords get dirty, but once I take them off, they go in the washing machine and come out looking nice. The ends will be frayed from use and washing, but I use a small propane lighter and burn the ends, and they are like new.

13. Truly

Truly New Member

I'm not on DHIR, but I wanted to comment on collars.

I have some nylon adjustable, but my favorite is the metal, choke chain, style. However, rather than putting on as a choke chain, I use a key ring to attach the ends together. That key chain will give way if someone gets stuck. Put on a new key ring and your as good as new.

14. UnRuli Acres

UnRuli Acres New Member

I used adjustable dog collars on my does and then their tag was hung on a quick link
    [​IMG]
    that was big enough to fit around the collar webbing. This way the tags hung flat. The does that were here after their first freshening got a collar with their name and birthdate embroidered on it. This is about the best photo I have of the "set up"
    [​IMG]
    I also used nippers to remove the "dog tag d-ring" that was on the collars because that was just one less thing to get caught up in something.

The tags stayed on great and the collars were solid unless the does got caught on something and then they'd break. I did have one doe that was good at losing collars all the time, but she had a "special place" she liked to lose them so I was able to retrieve her number and quick link for the next collar.