ND breeders I need your help.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I am finally getting a few of these little guys {girls} 6-8 to be exact. A friend of mine needs a break for health reasons. I am babysitting for a few months and will keep 2 girls when they go back in spring time.

How much on average do you feed breed does ? What are you feeding them ?

Anything special I need to know ?

Patty

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Patty......I tweeked my feeding program just a little bit this year because my baby's were 5 lbs last year.

I feed each preggy doe about 3 cups of alfalfa pellets every day year around..may increase it just a bit when I go to milking. I've went to about 125 days this year with my preggys before starting grain to them....and then they get about 1 cup of ADM dairy goat plus feed/+ Alf. ......per feeding.
    mine get bermuda hay almost free choice year around......I keep sweetlix mins. out free choice , year around. Plenty of FRESH water.
    Now with all that said, you must understand that I'm in AL. , and I have winter rye and other browse for them as well.

This is a little off the beaten path, but my circumstances are just a tad different too.

Whim

3. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

I feed my does who aren't in milk Martindale feed goat developer. Does in milk get oats, barley, corn, black oil sunflower seeds. Everyone gets loose minerals & kelp. I have non milkers on grass hay & as they get closer to freshening, I increase their alfalfa. I vary the feed amount depending on the goat....most of my Nigerians are very easy keepers & would prefer to be very fat if I'd allow them to :). They eat a lot less per goat then do my LaManchas.

4. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

Our ND does get free choice grass hay that is supplemented with a high quality dairy alfalfa, I guess we we don't really treat them all that different than our Alpines but they are easier keepers. I would strongly suggest checking your pens and gates LOL the NDs are wonderful at finding weak spots in your fencing and going under or through spots that the larger goats miss.

5. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Mine get free choice mixed grass/alfalfa hay year round, about the last month of pregnancy I start them on grain mix, it is the same that I give my milkers..
    oats, barley, corn( very little) boss, beet pulp, manna pro pellets. this is a dry mix with no molasses in it at all.. they love it..
    I continue them on this after kidding with more beet pulp, which I think increases my milk production..
    ND's are very easy keepers compared to other goat breeds, they get fat easy
    I have one that is s dry doe and she stays fat on hay.. So I feed them away from their barn and force them into a lot of excercise.. even when huge from being pg.. I make em walk as much as possible.. keeps my kids on the small side, had a couple of them last year that did not even weigh two pounds. Like it that way too.
    Yep, them babies are going to find a way out of just about anything..

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep I feed like Barb here they get free choice alfalfa pellets and grass hay then 100 days out they get started on grain mix of whole oats,barley, cracked corn (very little), BOSS and beet pulp, starting off with 1/2 cup per feeding and gradually increasing until freshening with 1/2 to 1 lb per feeding per doe. all depends on the doe but the alfalfa is a must.

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Thanks guys. These girls are on the heavy side already so no over feeding here .

Feel free to post some baby pictures to get me all excited !

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

When are they due?? so jealous, I love those little babies I've seen at the shows, the pen full of hungry buggers about Chihuahua size. I really want one.

9. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I am not ure on due dates. I was suppose to go today and we are in the middle of another storm !!!!!

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Patty. Be prepared to disbud these kids a little earlier than maybe some of the other breeds.....these ND's have huge horn buds, and if you don't do a good job on them, you will have awful scurs.
    Was trying to find my notes from Barbara V.......I think she disbuds at about 6 or 7 days old. Maybe she can post to this.

I may try the cut out method this year that Vicki has spoke about....got to do it right after their birth though.......Doelings seem to burn OK, but I had to reburn the bucklings.....don't want to go there again.

Just a heads up.....Whim

11. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Thanks . I explained Vickis method to Hubby I am hoping he will do it .

Patty

12. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Well, it's not that I need any bucks born....but kinda hoping that if I try this, that I will have a buck to try it on before I do it to any doelings.
    Vicki had mentioned to me a while back that some breeds might be hard to do this on, because some are born with horn buds already attached to the skull to some degree. I wouldn't doubt that ND's will be one of those that are hard to do this proceedure to.
    I have ordered the equipement that I need to do it with, and plan to take some pics of the proceedure as we do it. ....Think that V. is making similar plans at her place. Maybe we can get this down pat. to where others can learn it too.
    Whim

13. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Yes, I burn as young as four days old on the bucks, ND's do have horrible scurs if you don't burn young enough.. I hate scurs..
    Yep Whim, I am hoping for a buck too, I am going to try the cut method and see what happens.. I will try to get my hubby to take the pics while I am doing it to post.. and let all know how this method works,, I plan on doing it the day they are born.. before that button in there is attached to the skull... I think it will be easier on them then burning..
    Barbara

14. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I've had a few saanen bucklings that came out horned almost! One of them I did the day he was born, cause the lady who wanted him came Then to get him.