Naxcel

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Do I order the 1 gram or 4 gram . Is this the best for possible pneumonia ?

Thanks , Patty

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

For the money...I always buy the 4 gram. It's 80cc vs 20cc. Just draw into 3cc syringes and freeze what you don't use. Then you have it when needed.

In my opinion, yes. Unless you want to order some Draxxin which is about $300 a 100/ml bottle. It's just Naxcel at 3 times stronger.
    Kaye

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

OK Thanks . This is for my problem doe . She is sounding a little congested . I have her on penn but figure I should hit her with the big guns. How much for howq many days would you do ?

Thanks again.

Patty

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I use 1cc/50#'s twice a day for 2 days...then 1cc/50# once a day for 3 more days. Don't forget to give her banamine ~even if she's not running a fever~ for scarring of the lungs. 1cc/100 once a day for 3-4 days.
    Kaye

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Gotcha

Thanks for all the help.

Patty

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Kaye is of course, the queen :).... But most folks feel that Nuflor combined with banamine is the best for pneumonia. Excenel/Naxcel is a great antibiotic though and is still pretty effective for pneumonia as well as a myriad of other things.

Nuflor is really expensive too! hurrah-- cough cough.

Camille

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I use Nuflor here, along with Banamine for pneumonia. It is effective and I don't have to deal with the mixing and freezing you do with Naxel. I've used Excenel and it works great for dealing with staph, but when it comes to respiritory stuff, I prefer Nuflor. Kathie

8. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Kaye, how long will the naxcel keep in the freezer? I know when you mix it you are supposed to use it up in 7 days. This sure would save what is not used.

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I've kept it in the freezer for up to 8months before I need to use it. It's not to be used IF when you thaw it and it has "spider webs" in the syringe. This is a sign that the drug has gone bad. So far, I've never had the webs but found one at the vets that had been in there for 14mo. that did thaw with the webs.
    Kaye

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I also prefer Naxcel and Excenel isn't worth purchasing. Haven't used nuflor yet, course I have used a whole one bottle of naxcel in the last 3 years :) I buy it unrehydrated, so I don't have to freeze anything but the excess and yes I buy the little bottle. But my vet is just a phone call away if I need more drugs so I tend to just buy enough to get me buy until she is open. I also give the 2 or 3 weeks frozen routine, but I also just thaw it and look at it through a strong light. Same with all my drugs sold in clear vials. vicki