Mystery illness

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Doc, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Doc

Doc Guest

Yearling doe (not bred). Healthy until yesterday. Last night found her hiding in a corner, listless, won't eat, udder feels like a FF's about a month before kidding. Not hot or hard, just filling. A bit of white discharge from vulva. A lot of swelling, rather softish, not hard, directly in front of udder, feels like edema - goes from udder all the way to chest. No access to toxins in pasture. Not getting grain and no access to overeating. Temp normal. Vet comes to town today, but not very experienced with goats so may not be much help. Could this be an injury? The goats have been playing pretty rough. Some syndrome or illness I'm simply not familiar with? Mastitis in a dry yearling doe? Slight possibility of having been bred, but would be only about 10 weeks along and I don't think she's bred.
    I put her on penicillin. No change since last night. Won't lay down. Ideas?

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

When I read "listless, won't eat" I thought hypocalcimia. As far as her udder filling, I thought "Yup pregnant." But when you said about the edema part...I have no clue. Sorry.

Hope someone more experienced than I can help you more.

3. Doc

Doc Guest

It isn't nutritional. I believe it may be a distention or an impacted area of her digestive system.

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Well if she isnt pregnant I would give her a Fort B shot and maybe some Dex for swelling...She might have tore some skin loose from the underneath and its filled with fluid. Maybe be a hernia...and if she isnt PG sounds like what they call a precocious udder..and she might have some mastitis starting...not really sure just shooting from the hip on this...I would give athe Fort B shot anyway, as it wont hurt her.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I don't think an impaction would swell into the belly like that unless she has burst her bladder....like water belly what we used to call the end of urinary calculi. Is she peeing normally?

True edema and swelling in this area where her milk veins are....an injury? I hate to say gas as in black leg? But I would think the udder would be involved as in gas mastitis, and she would have a temp.

Can she had gotten bitten by something? Snake, spider? Try benedryl. Wopping triple the adult dosage, see if the swelling goes down.

I think the vuvla discharge and the normal bred or not maturation of a yearling does udder are asymptomatic of whatever has happened. Just things you are now noticing.

Vicki

6. Doc

Doc Guest

I considered gas but the swelling is pliable, not hard - who's seen a case of blackleg in a goat? I suppose it could be - since the treatment is penicillin, maybe I caught it?. We don't have much in the way of poisonous insects and thank the goddess NO SNAKES. Ew. I tubed her with some mineral oil, figured it wouldn't hurt at this point. I haven't seen her urinate or poop but then again, I haven't seen her eat or drink anything until just a few moments ago when I gave her some fresh water - she drank a little. She also drank a little bit of the kid's milk ( I was filling their bucket and she stuck her nose in it). I don't think she touched the water or hay all night. She's currently nibbling at a tiny bit of grain I gave her - my theory is that if a goat's on its feet and will at least show a bit of interest in food, it's probably not going to drop dead. I have her on penicillin and she's had two pretty good doses of fortified B complex (last night and this morning). She's out of the corner now and watching the goats outside. I'm stumped. The vet has no idea and isn't even sure if she can come out this afternoon - she has a ton of farm calls already and this isn't an emergency. She tried to lay down but got right back up. She doesn't run away when I palpitate the swelling. Wouldn't urinary calculi have shown symptoms before this? She was bright and healthy yesterday morning. I'm down to just a few does so I keep pretty close track of them, I think I would have noticed if she hadn't felt well before now.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Doc,
    Have you taken a temp on her? That would tell you if your dealing with mastitis starting. I would also check that area really well for an staph starting or a hot, hard spot on the udder area. Edema in the area overnight might lead me to think...bruising or blunt force trauma.?

Good theory...and usually accurate.

After you take a temp. and there's no fever...maybe a touch of banamine for the pain.?
    Kaye

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The clostridium for black leg is the same one in goats that causes malignant edema...that's what I meant. And gas clostridiums can swell up the skin but it takes awhile, like gangrenous mastitis, to cause enough necrosed tissue to go systemic and kill. Vicki